Author Topic: I have buggered up my squash  (Read 2401 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
I have buggered up my squash
« on: May 10, 2010, 14:23:40 »
One of these days I will actually get something right  ::)
I sowed a number of squash in pots, They grew but got very leggy, probably because a lack of space drove me to stick them on the top of the fridge. Anyways, I transferred them to bigger pots, burying the leggy bits up to the leaves. guess what? All but one looked like they are karking it.
Why has this happened? And really, where should I sow these blighters? should I now try in pots in the cold frame? or just on site? (warmer here than in UK remember).
I am annoyed as you don't get many squash seeds to a packet. The Hooligan squash that I sowed on a windowsill seem alright however...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: I have buggered up my squash
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 14:53:10 »
Good question.  See this from the Health and Safety Executive.

In summary, if the bottle says it's safe to put in the bin then you can put it in the bin, otherwise take it to the municipal tip and ask them to dispose of it as hazardous waste - all local councils have to make arrangements for disposing of hazardous household waste.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 14:58:51 »
Toxic squash hehehehehe Unwashed  :P ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 14:59:01 »
errr wrong post, unwashed???
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 15:01:43 »
Errm, it appears antipodes has posted the wrong question in this thread.  I do hope she'll be along in a minute to apologise for any misunderstanding.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 15:01:48 »
I don't think squash like to be buried up to the true leaves.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 15:03:34 »
Errm, it appears antipodes has posted the wrong question in this thread.  I do hope she'll be along in a minute to apologise for any misunderstanding.

Ha Ha Unwashed ~ nice try !! ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 15:08:39 »
Errm, it appears antipodes has posted the wrong question in this thread
Either that or you were intending to answer Pesky Wabbit's question.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,60076.0.html

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 15:12:13 »
Ha ha but now everyone is laughing at unwashed and not answering my question!!
 ;D ;D ;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 15:17:14 »
Errm, it appears antipodes has posted the wrong question in this thread
Either that or you were intending to answer Pesky Wabbit's question.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,60076.0.html
Thanks for that - I couldn't actually find it and was beginning to think I'd imagined it!

Sorry antipodes, normal service has been resumed. :)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 15:22:15 »
Well I would sow them in pots in the cold frame, curcubits nearly always rot if you bury the stems so I wouldn't advise doing that again.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 15:36:55 »
I think I would sow some direct - especially as you are warmer than here. I've had success in the past with doing this quite late - in June in the UK and saves the potting on etc. Its always frustrating not having many seeds - but then you don't need many plants with most squashes if they really take off so if you've enough seed why not try both methods?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 16:33:23 »
 don't bury them deeper as you would with tomatoes,  XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 16:44:51 »
As with most plants if there is not a good light/heat balance htey won't grow properly. This is more inportant with quick growing plants like squash.

If its too dark for the amount of heat available they will grow really leggy in no time at all-as you have found to your cost :-\

Ideally you want them to grow short, stubby and dark green. But never mind, its not too late to try again. Start them off somewhere warm but immediately they emerge from the soil put them somewhere as light as possible. Outside is good if its warm and not windy (they hate cold draughts)-but otherwise on a bright windowsill until they can go out permanently.

Best of luck!
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

spiritofold

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 16:45:03 »
Every year i sow my squash far too early  ::)

I guess its just getting excited about the new growing season and getting everything ready. The lesson i need to learn is to wait until its warmer, then sow indoors and transplant outside when theres no chance of plants getting burnt by frost.....

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 21:09:05 »
All I've sown so far are 24 Atlantic Giants and that's because they have all been ordered by plotholders for the biggest pumpkin competition and I was starting to panic in case none germinated.  Of course, every single one came up and I now have 24 plants which had to be potted on at 10 days old because they had outgrown their first pot.

I'm waiting till next week before I sow all my other squash and courgettes. That means I might get away with not having to pot them on before planting out in June. That's the theory anyway.......
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 00:30:29 »
I'm with you Betty... mine get sown when I get back from the festival this weekend and get potted on just before the one two weeks after that and will go out early June......

chrisc

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 13:12:27 »
hmmm well yes I guess I am just impatient. The courgettes seem ok, it was the pumpkin that didn't like it. I will try both, a few in pot in teh coldframe and a couple of others directly in the ground. Maybe I will wait till next week, we have a cold spell here, no frost just very very cool, about 13 or 14 in the day. brrrr.
Thanks for the info about burying the stems, I have done that before and obviously it was a misunderstanding on my part!! I won;t make that mistake again!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 18:11:50 »
So far I've had some dodgy germination. All six blue hubbard came up, so did two out of a dozen butternuts. None of the Atlantic giant or Tromba d'Albhenga have done anything, so I had a firkle and found they weren't germinating. I've stuck them under the how water tank in case they weren't warm enough.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal