Author Topic: Using grass cuttings on my allotment  (Read 2806 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Using grass cuttings on my allotment
« on: May 11, 2010, 00:13:17 »
Hi Ive been offered alot of grass cuttings from a neighbour & I was thinking of using it to earth up spuds & possibly to protect my veg from all the frosts as I dont have enough fleece BUT the cuttings have alot of dandelion bits in with the grass - Im wondering if I will just be seeding my plot with dandelions if I use it ???

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Using grass cuttings on my allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 00:26:16 »
I do this, and so far I've had no problems.
Smile, it confuses people.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 00:31:50 »
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Emaggie, thats a relief then as I really cant afford to buy loads more fleece & Ive got so many things that need to be planted out Im going to need to keep them warm some how ::)

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 00:49:19 »
I use mowings round fruit bushes. It works really well. I think I do get some weed growth coming from it, but just weed it roughly next spring and then smother it again. With potatoes, you need to be careful not to pile a load of mowings on which then heat up and damage the stems.

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:17:34 »
I dig it in all over the place, helps add organic matter to the soil. Mine dries out quickly so needs it.

mhj75

• Not So New ...
  • Bristol - it's mint
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 19:08:46 »
I have quite a lot of grass on my allotment, and I always put the cuttings around my plants. Very useful as a mulch. I try not to put too much on my compost heap as it would just be grass cuttings otherwise. In terms of the load you have been offered, just check how many of the dandelions have got as far as seeding I guess...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 19:08:58 »
Bits will be fine. I use grass cuttings by the ton, and as they come from local estates I get all sorts mixed in. The sweet wrappings are a nuisance, but I've never had a real problem.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 19:12:40 »
There can be real problems if the grass cuttings come from lawns treated with products that contain clopyralid.
There is also the possibility that another broad leaved herbicide called clopyralid, might have been used on garden lawns. Any grass clippings used as mulch or compost will cause the same sort of damage to edible plants. Make sure that you read the label very, very carefully before you apply any chemicals to your lawn!

Do not use any of the grass clippings, treated with clopyralid, for composting or mulching.

Do not put the grass clippings, treated with clopyralid, out for collection for recycling green waste by the Council, as this can lead to contamination of commercial products, such as “peat free” growbags and liquid organic fertilizers. There have already been recalls of such products because of clopyralid contamination.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 22:06:43 »
Exactly so realfood. I'm always amazed by the people who say they take their marestail home to put in the garden recycle bin :o
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal