Author Topic: Do hot pepper seeds come true  (Read 1998 times)

ipt8

• Hectare
Do hot pepper seeds come true
« on: May 05, 2010, 20:59:05 »
Have collected some Prairie Fire pepper seeds. The plants grew in my polytunnel which had another hot pepper and sweet peppers growing in it as well. Will the seeds be true or do they cross polinate  ???

Are there any good links to information on what does and does not cross pollinate  :-\

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Do hot pepper seeds come true
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 00:48:39 »
If they are from a commercial farm then the answer is "almost certainly yes" - nearly every plant will have been surrounded by huge numbers of their own kind.

If they are home grown then "probably" but it depends on how many plants of how many other varieties are within range - this includes several of your neighbours (unless you are actually Prince Charles posting incognito).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 13:23:17 »
Royal blood, fraid not, my blood relatives were brummies through and through, mind you didn't my mom say my great grandma was German  :o

Having said that the plants were grown in the poly tunnel, and my nearest neighbour is about 150 yards away and they have a job to get peas and beans to grow  ::)

I know I recently read that climbing french beans are self fertile so are unlikely to cross pollinate, but runner beans are not so do.

I just wondered if there was some source of such usefull information.

:(

• Acre

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 14:41:40 »
Royal blood, fraid not, my blood relatives were brummies through and through, mind you didn't my mom say my great grandma was German  :o

So are the royals, so you're probably related.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 22:43:03 »

So are the royals, so you're probably related.

One never knows does one....

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 22:50:05 »
Some info here

http://www.seedsave.org/issi/904/beginner.html#anchor004
Thanks for that, that is interesting. I guess within the poly tunnel much cross pollination will take place then.
One wonders about seeds swapped, now I wonder which if any were home collected. They do say ignorance is bliss. I don't think I will grow the pepper seeds as I sell the plants for a few pence to cover my costs, I doubt people would want peppers of unknown parenthood but with one parent of Prairie Fire.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 23:06:26 »
I really wonder if cross pollination is that easy as it is said in seedsave pages..I have grown for years various peppers and chillies in same space=GH/tunnel....saved seeds and haven't got any "funny" seeds what so ever..year after year each have come true to type...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 11:39:09 »
You probably won't get a lot of pollinators in a tunnel, but there are bound to be a few. So you might get the odd cross, but most will self-fertilise.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 00:48:20 »
I really wonder if cross pollination is that easy as it is said in seedsave pages..I have grown for years various peppers and chillies in same space=GH/tunnel....saved seeds and haven't got any "funny" seeds what so ever..year after year each have come true to type...

The last time I grew mostly Black Hungarian and Alma - about 10 of each - I took some seeds from Black H (hard to miss those) that came out as mini- Almas the next year.

Now I grow a wider range with smaller numbers of each type and I've had no problems recently.

I think I probably picked from the only plant that crossed, maybe the only fruit - all the others might well have come true.

It could also be because of the lousy summers - certainly french beans seem to cross more in lousy summers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal