Author Topic: Old seeds.  (Read 1163 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Old seeds.
« on: May 08, 2010, 21:05:10 »
I promised a neighbour some verbena bonariensis plants from the garden but they seem to be a bit thin on the ground. I had a look in my seed trunk ;D & came across a packet of seeds use by 1994. I've just gone to put my little cluckers to bed & had a peek & low & behold they have sprouted.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Old seeds.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 21:15:50 »
 :o Last night in One Show they were talking about use/sell by dates..and how food past it dates is still ok to eat...well -94... ::) and still good enough for use ::)
Mind though last year I found unused bag of stevia leaves that I bought few years earlier...as I was emptying the bag to take it to the compost bin..I noticed there were something that looked like seeds..yes I did sow some ::) Now stevia should be quite difficult to get to germinate... ::) Several came through. ;D And that bag had to travel across the world..been lying around forgotten years, not in ideal conditions for seeds...and still some viable... ::)
Tough little things..

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 07:58:28 »
I have just germinated 2 out of 3 ,18year old Squash seeds,, it is always worth a try

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 08:04:54 »
I am very mean with seeds and keep them for a very long time.  If it is important to germinate seeds by a certain time of year I test them for viability a few weeks before hand. 

Just put a few seeds on damp kitchen paper in a 'tupperware' box and leave in the dark for a few days.  Depending on the percentage that have germinated, I can decide whether or not to buy new seeds.

Oh yes, the ones that have germinated inevitably are put into some compost to be grown on.  Waste not want not!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal