Author Topic: Record Keeping?  (Read 3066 times)

Maiden98

• Not So New ...
Record Keeping?
« on: May 08, 2010, 18:59:40 »
I'm toying with the idea of keeping a spreadsheet listing various criteria from year to year; variety, date sown, date germinated, germination % etc

Just wondering if anyone else does this, what sort of info do you keep, and how you use the info from year to year?

gp.girl

• Hectare
Re: Record Keeping?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 19:16:01 »
Go for it.

Its apparently very useful.

I try every year, but my natural disorganised tendency soon puts a stop to it ;D
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 19:33:56 »
I'm not organised enough to do it, but some on here will be able to tell you everything from years ago including the temps and ph of the soil.

Neil

amphibian

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 20:01:51 »
Go for it.

Its apparently very useful.

I try every year, but my natural disorganised tendency soon puts a stop to it ;D

Sounds like me. I try I really do.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 20:10:00 »
I have been keeping a diary since 1986 then in 2003 I transferred all the data on to spread sheets.

This formed the basis for my website.

Last year I started keeping a pictorial diary as I thought this would be more beneficial than the written diary based on the old adage.........a picture paints a thousand words!

Incidently I still kept on keeping my 'text' diary.

There are now around ten thousand entries in that! which with a click on the mouse I can extract specific information on say one genus showing what I did over the last 24 years.

Already I am finding my 'pictorial diary' a great boon e.g.

I sowed all my seeds this year as per my diaries and recently from experience I was thinking my stuff is not doing as well as in previous years, so I had a look at my pictorial diary.

Sure enough it is telling/showing me that the season is about three weeks behind last year so now I am not so concerned.

This is how I keep my records; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Computers%20and%20gardening/Computers%20and%20gardening.htm

Run the mouse over the text to highlight links to other planning techniques I use.

I find this works quite well for me so I would guess that anyone that is more I.T. literate than I am can improve on this format.

ps. I have addressed the subject in a bit more detail on the 'my website revision' I am working on at the moment.

Anyone who uses my website will see that it was last edited in 2005 I have now adjusted my figures (slightly) to cater for any so called weather changes/ global warming that has supposedly taken place!

Which incidently I have found indicated that things in general have been about a week earlier over the last few years!

Then what happens?

We go back to the 'ice age' this year!

:-\ 8) :( aaaaaaah the vagueries of gardening in the UK  ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 20:12:01 by Tee Gee »

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 20:53:14 »
Tee Gee, I love your website, however I would like to know if you would consider doing something like a computer scheduler so people like me get a notice on the pc to get of my lazy bum and go plant x or clean the g/h. Then when I cant get online for days I wont have to worry.
Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

Maiden98

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 21:20:13 »
Tee Gee that is extremely helpful..thanks loads..that is the sorta thing I was lokking for :)

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 00:59:56 »
I use my blog - when I remember to update it. Nothing like TeeGee's though.
Any form of diary/records so you can look back at previous years becomes a great help, especially when the weather doesn't behave as it did the year before.
Looks like another week until I can get my french beans in the ground.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 01:11:48 »
I keep a dairy to record day to day events on the plot, all the little jobs done and any new methods tried. I also keep a record of people I met down the plot and any news etc I`m not a busy body but being on the committee I like to keep a eye out for any problems that may be around.
 As to my planting etc, I keep a spread sheet record of all my sowing giving details of number of rows  soil conditions germination harvesting any problems etc, also I keep a record of costs and any profits made -  I charge myself shop prices to work out how much savings I make on my food bill, Last year I made a saving of £1085.00. This year I am hoping to make more as I have planted a lot more soft fruit (Strawberries Redcurrants and Raspberries) which are expensive in the shops

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 01:45:21 »
Dear Maiden98

I have recently put together 'Home Grown Live!' which is a website running a system that might just fit the bill. It was  put together with the help of several people from this forum. You can record everything you do in your garden/allotment and you can upload your pics too of your plots/beds/crops. The record keeping keeps track year after year of all your sowings, bed treatments, etc (as well as a crop rotation checker). It also includes a day-by-day Journal to record all your thoughts, etc.

Its here: http://www.thevga.co.uk/hgonline/index.cgi

As I have had a really good evening with a bottle (or two) of Shiraz you (or anybody else who reads this) can have a free account for 1 year to try it out (its normally £20 per year).

Just send me a PM and I will set up an account for you. Offer closes sunday 9th May 1pm though - as I will have probably sobered up by then  ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:49:51 by GodfreyRob »
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Maiden98

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 09:22:42 »
Dear Maiden98

I have recently put together 'Home Grown Live!' which is a website running a system that might just fit the bill. It was  put together with the help of several people from this forum. You can record everything you do in your garden/allotment and you can upload your pics too of your plots/beds/crops. The record keeping keeps track year after year of all your sowings, bed treatments, etc (as well as a crop rotation checker). It also includes a day-by-day Journal to record all your thoughts, etc.

As I have had a really good evening with a bottle (or two) of Shiraz you (or anybody else who reads this) can have a free account for 1 year to try it out (its normally £20 per year).

Just send me a PM and I will set up an account for you. Offer closes sunday 9th May 1pm though - as I will have probably sobered up by then  ;)

Tried to PM you but your inbox is full :P

Tatty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:41:20 »
I have tried to PM you too but it is still saying inbox is full! A very popular offer you have given!
Please sign me up it sounds great!
Gina

Dear Maiden98

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:59:45 by Tatty »

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 10:50:23 »
Dear Maiden98

This is typical of me - just tried to send a pm and can't beucase inbox is full.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 10:57:45 »
If your generous offer is still open, please join me up  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 11:04:38 »
Looks like Rob is suffering from mail overload ...

I wouldn't mind giving it a go if the offer is still open..

Mushy Pea

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 11:16:39 »
Rob your inbox is still full.  :(

But if your offer is still open I'd like to try it too....  :D

Many thanks,

MP

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 11:19:42 »
Apologies, I had no idea my box was full (obviously I really enjoyed my wine last night). I have cleared it now.

Please PM me now and up to 2pm - if you miss this but have already posted on this thread I will sign you up anyway.

Actually I have got a totallly undeserved clear head this morning - no justice is there?
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 11:24:21 »
I've sent you a PM.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal