Author Topic: Grass cuttings  (Read 1584 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Grass cuttings
« on: May 06, 2010, 18:43:07 »
I usually get loads of grass cuttings when my mother cuts her lawn, but this year she has had it professionally conditioned ie with extra strong moss killer etc.
How many cuts do you think there should be before I use it this year?
I usually use it to mulch the potatoes so is it best to not use it this year at all ?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Grass cuttings
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 19:28:00 »
I'm sure its 3 or 4 cuts but I may be wrong, others will be along soon.  :-\     ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 19:32:06 »
Feed Weed and Mosskiller usually needs 4-6 weeks and about 4 really good soakings to go away.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 22:42:20 »
or..you could compost it in mean while..and after month or so use it again as mulch..

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 22:45:12 »
Thanks. It has had two cuts already and a downpour on Sunday so I will wait for another couple of cuts then perhaps compost the first lot I get.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 17:29:01 »
Would there be any problem in using it as a mulch in the channels between the potatoes? I have put some down (one week old weed & feed grass currings.). It is not on the mounds.

If there is a problem I need to remove it quite rapidly.

I look forward to your replies.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 17:38:06 »
There is a distinct possibility that the weedkiller will leach out from the clippings & be taken up by the potatoes as the potatoes root system will not limit itself to only taking water nutrients etc... from under the mounds.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 18:07:20 »
The hormonal weed killer to look out for in the list of ingredients in the grass treatments, is Clopyralid, which works in a similar way to aminopyralid in manure, but apparently does not last quite as long. Again, it is bound up in the grass fibres and does not become "free" to cause damage until the grass starts to rot down.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal