Author Topic: How much do people feed the birds?  (Read 8293 times)

Spurdie

• Acre
Re:How much do people feed the birds?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2004, 19:44:12 »
Out of curiosity, William, what kinds of birds come to your bird table? Are they more or less the same as ours ie. blackbirds, robins, thrushes, etc, or do you get more exotic visitors?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2004, 19:52:11 »
Spurdie have I dreamt this  ::) or was it on the news recently ??? that Waxwings were spotted in Scotland? ??? Reason I ask is that I’d heard it was a sign of bad weather to come, do these little critters like bad weather or something  ??? (Stupid dumb animals) :P ::) ;D

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2004, 20:00:30 »
Hello Roy  ;D
Yes we've already had 2 waxwings visiting our neighbour's garden full of overgrown dog roses and rose hips! Bonny birds! About the size of a thrush, lovely whistles. They didn't stay for long though, only 2 days and then away again! I suppose they got fed up with the rose hips and fancied a change! I've heard that they are partial to an apple strung up on a tree, but there are plenty of apples still on trees round here (nobody bothers to pick them!) and they turned their beaks up at them! Perhaps they are on their way down to see you! With all your tropical plants, they might be hoping for a banana!  :-[
We've had large flocks of fieldfares visiting the rowans too. This is also supposed to indicate a severe winter. Mind you we've had waxwings for 7 years in a row and not all winters were too bad!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2004, 20:42:25 »
Thanks for that reassurance Spurdie, ;) we have had the Waxwings down here, I think I may have already mentioned it B4 the area was swarming with Bird watchers. 8)
I have my own special thermometer it's the black birds so far they have left the berries alone on our Pyracanthas and they look great (the berries not the B/birds) :o but when they attack the berries I know we are in for some bitter cold weather. :o

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2004, 21:20:59 »
Blackbirds!!!  not seen one in weeks.  I also just missed a flock of Waxwings 2 weeks ago.  They stripped the Rowan tree at a neighbours tree.  Apparently there has been loads of them round the village upwards of 70.  One day,  one day......

:( :(

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2004, 12:24:20 »
 ;DWhat are wax wings?..I know I could look it up but soo lazy. Do we get them down here?..Thanks for the naming of the seed Roy, sounds about right, not cornflowers Wills, more bell shaped than them.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2004, 20:51:02 »
Better look out your thermal drawers just in case, Roy!  ;)
Val, wax wings were the cause of poor Icarus' downfall... :(

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2004, 21:14:24 »
WAXWINGS
The Waxwing is an uncommon visitor to this country from the forest of Northen
Europe and arrives in large numbers along the east coast of the UK in bad weather and spreads inland. The birds are fearless and have lavender brown plumage with long, gauzy pinkish chestnut crests blown up over their heads and brilliant yellow tips to ther short squarish tails.  They like feeding on any bush of scarlet hips or haws.

;D ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2004, 22:56:16 »
The best I can offer is a picture of a Waxwing I copied off the net, you are very knowlegable ladies I am impressed 8) Val I can't take the credit for the naming of seeds because I don't think I did :-[

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2004, 10:32:27 »
 ;DNo sorry Jerry ..its you I should be thanking about the seeds...Well thanks for the info about the wax wings..they are so pretty..You are so lucky to have seen them...hope they don't do to much damage though.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2004, 19:20:12 »
Yes, they dropped sweetie papers on the road and smashed several shop windows to steal cigarettes and alcohol.  :(

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2004, 21:01:45 »
 ???

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2004, 11:22:35 »
 ;DNo ..I meant to the trees and bushes....so when we move north we've got that to look forward to? Wax wings on the wanted posters...its all the cannabis in the seeds that does it...they flog the stuff to pay for their habit.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2004, 20:13:47 »
Yes, and you know what Scandanavians are supposedly famous for!  :-[ :P :-[

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2004, 09:56:59 »
 ;Dlol. ;D

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
Re: How much do people feed the birds?
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2004, 00:11:16 »
Dunno if if this is any help but birdies survial rate is about 20%.. and most deaths are caused by hypothermia.. a lil birdie has to eat practically all day long to store enough heat to survive that one nght.. so how much do ur bird table??? this time of year?? loads.. and whilst we is here.. the blackbird and the robin will be gone from these shores probbo in the next 30 or so years... OUR FAULT.. mahn whats wrong with us?? farcan love the blackbirds song.. is one of the sweetest songs and to think that future generations wont ever hear it cus we is too farcan stuck in a load of comformity bolucs is beyoned me... right off me soapbox.. you wanna be cool with the birds etc... get environmental.. all change starts with us and obviously I iz still on me soapbox psml. tell me... what wrong did Mr/Mrs?Mz Blackbird ever do u?

gonna hit post before i drones on and on and on

Ozzy/Ciaran

:-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 00:13:35 by Ozzy »

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2004, 13:23:55 »
Hmm-i probably spend far too much on seed & nuts,but hey-they appear to enjoy the food i have on offer for them.Havent seen the friendly Robin this year which used to follow me about the garden when clearing leaves away,but then again-they dont live very long.Do miss it though as occasionally,it would take food from my hand!

Sparrows are in abundance in my garden due to being cat free along with Blackbirds,Starlings,Thrushes,Bluetits and very small green birds which i havent a clue what they are-any ideas???
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2004, 13:47:46 »
Could they be Siskins Bubble (I think they are greenish):-\ - probably not greenfinch as they are larger.

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2004, 14:02:35 »
These green birds are about a 1/3 the size of a sparrow with much slimmer chests and a brightish green colour.They dont use the peanut feeders and only eat the seed on the bird table & feeder.They also look much more nervous than sparrows and are continually looking about for signs of danger-which comes not from cats,but a Sparrowhawk.

Just hoping something will use the nest boxes i put up earlier this year!
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal