Author Topic: Are my peas dying?  (Read 2396 times)

mpdjulie

• Acre
Are my peas dying?
« on: May 06, 2010, 23:22:24 »
I sowed some kelvedon wonder peas in the greenhouse mid March and planted them out mid April.  Since I planted them out they have grown about 3-4 inches but the lower leaves have gone yellow and are very papery.  The new leaves and stems are still a healthy green.   Will they continue to grow and form pea pods or have I planted them out too soon.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Are my peas dying?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 23:30:56 »
Like you said..new leaves and stems are still ok...they will be fine..it looks like they have just reacted maybe for cold?..too quickly from GH to great outdoors?..anyway..just a little patience and you'll be soon muching them straight from the pod..yum.. ;D

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 23:35:53 »
Like you said..new leaves and stems are still ok...they will be fine..it looks like they have just reacted maybe for cold?..too quickly from GH to great outdoors?..anyway..just a little patience and you'll be soon muching them straight from the pod..yum.. ;D
Thanks, I thought that would be the case but as this is my 2nd year growing I wanted to be sure so I don't make the same mistake next year.
Julie

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 00:34:41 »
Couple of thoughts...

If it's a wrinkled variety not a round then it might be too cold for them at night still, or else not thoroughly hardened off enough...

or...

Peas like to do their own climbing and aren't that fond of being tied to canes... you'd probably be better off with peasticks, last years twiggy prunings pushed in for them to scramble through or tie a net between the canes at each end and let them climb through that....

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:29:44 »
It looks OK. A bit nibbled, perhaps, but that's normal. As long as they're growing, there's nothing much to worry about.

Don't tie them in. Stretch string across between the poles, and they'll cling to it. How far apart did you plant? Looking at that one in solitary state, maybe they should be closer.

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 13:28:42 »
Right, I think what I'm going to do is sow some more peas- waverex and feltham first.  Wrap some twine around 3ft teepee's that the peas are presently planted against and transplant them in between each upright, so the gaps get filled in.
Would this be okay?
Julie
 :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 17:55:20 »
Yes, fine. Plant lots, you can get several dozen round a wigwam easily.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 01:32:27 »
Yes, fine. Plant lots, you can get several dozen round a wigwam easily.

You'd better be able to get more than that.... I've got 150 tall peas coming through in modules in the kitchen..... :D

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 10:35:08 »
They should be OK.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal