Author Topic: Squash anyone?  (Read 2336 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Squash anyone?
« on: November 19, 2004, 22:20:05 »
Pictures of my squashes harvested on the plot early autumn.  Not too bad really considering they didn't receive any extra water other than that mother nature provided, and they were planted amongst the sweetcorn in bed number 2 which was only cleared of waist high grass in April.

Winter carnival
vegetable spaghetti
Turks Turban
Red Kuri (which became Ava's halloween carving!)
Orange acorn
Marrow Long green bush (eaten this week as it was just begining to feel a little soft and I didn't want it to rot.  Also, the colour had changed and it had become very pale.  Still firm inside and not watery at all!  V. pleased).
Guords, can't remember their name
Pumpkin - fester.  (Number one sons halloween carving)
Crown prince (This has darkened over the weeks.  I will save seed for those interested)
Californian pumpkin (Number one daughters halloween carving.  By the time she carved it, the pumpkin had turned shocking orange!)

Spurdie

• Acre
Re:Squash anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 22:25:05 »
EJ your "Winter Carnival" squash is almost too beautiful to eat!

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 22:52:41 »
Gorgeous - don't like to eat but love to see!  To me they look like something an interior designer would call a "design feature"
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 22:58:55 »
My lot are all the same, altho I do get away with pumpkin soup, or hiding squash in things like curries.  They are lovely to look at  and are very tactile.  The kids adore them.

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 23:07:44 »
Wonderful variety of shapes and colours EJ !
How I wish I could grow 'em !
Tried and failed, just hopeless.  ::)  Final straw this year was my Turk's Turbans infested by the most peculiar large black and orange flies !! Never seen them before, and only on the Turbans!! Seemed to be nesting inside, and swarms on the leaves ! Weird !!
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 09:50:35 »
Ah, thanks EJ, I just loved looking at the pictures. Amazing shapes and colors.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 17:38:37 »
You wouldn't have to do anything with them, they are just a delight to see.  Wicker is right they have such an arty pleasing look to them, almost like pieces of sculpture.  Well done EJ.  You must get immense pleasure in thinking you grew such beauties. :) busy_lizzie  
live your days not count your years

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 11:39:20 »
They all look great EJ. I must remember to use pumpkin in curries if I grow some next year.

I'd love some crown prince seeds if you have some spare  :) Next year is going to be my quest for the perfect pumpkin  :D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 16:29:19 »
My pleasure Moggle.  PM me your addy.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal