Author Topic: Question about watering seeds  (Read 1071 times)

Maiden98

• Not So New ...
Question about watering seeds
« on: May 08, 2010, 14:27:19 »
I'm sowing several trays of seeds this weekend.  I've read/watched plenty on how to sow..put into polythene bags to act as a propagator etc.

But how often should I take them out of the poly bag to water them..daily?  when the compost gets dry?  not until they germinate? 

Also I have some sweet peppers and chilli peppers..is it too late to sow these now, as it says sow Feb-Apr ?

Thanks for any advice on this :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Question about watering seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 14:32:25 »
It might depend on the seeds - but I haven't personally ever watered them till they germinate. With the plastic bag on, I shouldn't think they'll dry out.

There's always the risk you'll rot the seed.

But of course plants vary hugely in what they tolerate/thrive on - I don't doubt there are some which like to be soaked and others which like it bone dry!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 14:57:11 »
If you are laying the plastic bag tight across the top off the tray then the condensation will keep the soil moist, and cover that with some news paper it will help retain the heat.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Maiden98

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 18:54:37 »
Thanks for the help :)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 19:38:14 »
I use a couple of drops of water on to kitchen towel with the seed inside and place this into a sealed plastic bag. No other watering is needed.

Neil

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal