Author Topic: mutated seedlings  (Read 2237 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
mutated seedlings
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:37:02 »
The first leaves (not seed leaves) on some of my dwarf french beans are coming out twisted or misshapen. Do you think they will be ok, and what might cause this?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: mutated seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 16:45:54 »
Aminopyralid???????????????? Really hope not ::).

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 16:48:03 »
Don't think so, as they were sown in modules using commercial compost.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 17:11:34 »
Caroline any chance of a photo :)

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 17:20:16 »
I have had the same seem like some of the seed cases are harder than others and do not drop off as quickly therefore causing distortion

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 17:52:21 »
Just because it was commercial compost it doesn't mean it's not contaminated. It was claimed by multiple people that 'Country Natural 100% organic manure' & 'Levington Organic Blend Farmyard Manure' were contaminated with aminopyralid as were Levington's/Shamrock growbags.

You would of thought Scotts who own the Shamrock & Levington brands would of learnt their lesson when there were all the issues with their 'plant protection compost' which they intentionally put imidacloprid into a few years ago which did indeed kill vine weevils as advertised but also had a devastating effects on bees. Harmful contaminants in compost are never welcome.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 18:04:27 »
my tomatoes grew like that last year, wasn't ;sure if it was the compost or the fibre pots

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 20:18:41 »
Just because it was commercial compost it doesn't mean it's not contaminated. It was claimed by multiple people that 'Country Natural 100% organic manure' & 'Levington Organic Blend Farmyard Manure' were contaminated with aminopyralid as were Levington's/Shamrock growbags.

You would of thought Scotts who own the Shamrock & Levington brands would of learnt their lesson when there were all the issues with their 'plant protection compost' which they intentionally put imidacloprid into a few years ago which did indeed kill vine weevils as advertised but also had a devastating effects on bees. Harmful contaminants in compost are never welcome.

Scotts dont give a toss. There a massive multinational, and the amount of compost they sell in the UK, even though they have the largest market share here , is utterly dwarfed by the amount they sell in the USA. They dont even break even on sales here, but they do it as a loss leader just to keep there foot in the door (there are other reasons why they dont pack up in the UK, but i cant print them online).
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 12:18:49 »
one of my sunflower seedlings appeared with variegated leaves  :'(
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 15:12:52 »
If it was the compost, wouldn't it affect ALL the seeds?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 15:26:15 »
Not necessary..but I would be supprised if there were no others affected...distortion can be caused so many other factors too...something could have effected during germination..temperature, pest,...but there is good chance the true leaves will be normal..if not..it could be virus..then I would burn/bin affected plants ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal