Author Topic: Weed suppression by ground cover  (Read 2902 times)

Cider Chris

• Not So New ...
  • DOH! Drunk the Slug Beer again!!!
Weed suppression by ground cover
« on: November 22, 2004, 10:40:16 »
I'm very new to this so please excuse my rather stupid question regarding weed suppression and slug deterrant.
I've just inheirited a rather overgrown allotment and have spent most of the last 3 months digging it over and pulling up bindweed and couch roots. I have seen many articles relating to black plastic and old carpet to cut out the sunlight from developing weeds.
My question is: In my garage I've got 10 rolls of gravel covered roofing felt. Can I lay this on my plot and cut slits in it to plant my brassicas? Would the gravel coating deter slugs from wandering over the gritty surface to gorge themselves on my cabbages? Is there anything in the roofing felt that could harm my plot? ie bitumen leaching into the soil? ??? By the way I think this site is superb for newbies like me.

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
Re:Weed suppression by ground cover
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 10:59:27 »
Welcome aboard Chris - sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone else will soon.
Granny is still your best friend !

rdak

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 12:23:59 »
Hi Chris,

I would go on the side of caution and not use it- I'm sure there's nasty chemicals in that stuff.
Carpet shops throw out loads of off-cuts every week- when I need some I can often just drive around a couple and fill up my car with carpet.

Ross

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 17:22:53 »
I should think that the tarry substance would harm the new plants. I have never heard of anybody using this stuff, but I expect the reason is that it is too expensive. Perhaps you could just try a small strip and then let us all know the result. I have seen plant pots made of a similar material.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 20:54:05 »
Hi Chris,

Do you think that the monetary value of your roofing felt would  mean that its better to sell it and re-invest the cash on your plot? I was surprised by how much I`ve spent on the plot in my first year, on tools, a wheelbarrow, cordless strimmer, cordless drill, hose pipes, water barrels, seeds, canes, plastic sheet etc.
Maybe just buying black plastic or membrane would be more cost effective ? or as people say, find carpet for free.

You might want to save a roll for reroofing sheds and all your lottie friends sheds  :D

Best of luck, Col.

... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 21:29:12 »
The last time I bought any of that sort of roofing felt it was nearly £20 a roll.  Columbus has to be right.  Advertise it and you should raise enough to buy as much proper weed suppressant as you want, and a bit left over.

Cider Chris

• Not So New ...
  • DOH! Drunk the Slug Beer again!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 12:25:55 »
 :DThanks everyone for your input. I guess this is why I registered with this site in the first place. All your advice is at the end of the day just common sense! I feel like a right berk for asking such an obviously dumb question as my first. ???
I've already found a fellow lottie who will do a swap for a wheelbarrow and some seedlings for next Spring so it's all worked out for the best.
Thanks again for the advice.
Cider Chris. ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 18:38:57 »
Don`t worry! It couldn`t have been that silly a question as no-one could really answer it ;DYet! :-X

You were just being practical.............

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 20:17:15 »
......we just looked at things from another angle.
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 03:38:45 »
hey

good idea initially but although your weeds would be supressed i think not so good as theyll be missing out on the nice rain water that does contain good nutrients for your plants so probably by the time you cut enough slits in for the rain you probably have your weeds back too

I say no and go with the sell and buy the proper thing

carl
another member of i forgot my password

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 19:59:12 »
Hi there,

In all that very good discussion about the pros and cons of bitchumen, don't forget Ross's really good advice about carpets and the chucking out of those during end of season or even just going to ask!

It really does help a lot and does both the job of protecting plants and weed suppressing of the bits you haven't yet had time to dig!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

:D
Muddy Boots

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 14:38:44 »
If you are using carpet, don't use the foam backed stuff, it disintegrates quickly and the foam contains nasty chemicals that leach into the soil.

I don't like nylon carpets as they rapidly break down into long thready things that get tangled in everything.

Woollen carpet lasts longest and when it breaks down just rots away

Phil

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 19:16:11 »
Carpets belong in the lounge, I think that allotments look like dumping places with all the junk that is supposed to be suppressing weeds. Weeding is just another one of the joys of tending your allotment. Mulch if you have to, with something that will improve the soil later.

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 10:09:40 »
Heritage - I know what you mean about the way the carpet looks - not exactly beautifull. And allotments can look very lovely indeed.
One of the things I always laugh at on our plot is one of our nieghbours puts white plastic bottles on all his millions of canes. On closer inspection, these turned out to be denture-fluid bottles. How to beautify your plot!!!
And there's another guy whose plot looks like something from the WW1 trenches - I can't even make out what's going on there at all, he's got that many bits of old iron and panes of glass sticking up and all sorts of things - but he does seem very happy.

SB

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 15:34:39 »
Sarah,

Please don't encourage him - he would have us all shot for not having our vegeatbles in straight lines, spaced in accordance with the instructions on the packets!!  ;)

Phil - after 40 odd years of gardening and 20 years in uniform!!

Seriously, carpet does a useful job in preventing  the leaching that follows rain and snow on neatly dug soil. The ideal is green manure, but if this is not possible then compost/FYM spread under carpet or some other cover both feeds the soil, creates the correct tilth, warms the soil in Spring, makes it workable earlier (by keeping it drier), stops the germination of weed seeds and prevents leaching

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal