Author Topic: Help! My Corn Salad/Lambs Lettuce won't germinate!!  (Read 3121 times)

Epiphany

• Not So New ...
Help! My Corn Salad/Lambs Lettuce won't germinate!!
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:25:27 »
What am I doing wrong?

I have tried indoor, outdoor, sowing direct into compost, on wet tissue, covered, uncovered......

It just won't grow!!!!
 ???

Jenny
~ Jenny ~

Waiting, oh so patiently, for an allotment, growing in pots and troughs and hanging baskets until then......

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Re: Help! My Corn Salad/Lambs Lettuce won't germinate!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 16:26:29 »
Contact who you bought it from and get a replacement or money back, sounds to me like it's no good.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 18:04:37 »
My input isn't really much help, just to say this was a crop I tried years ago and gave up with because I couldn't get it to germinate, ever......has anyone out there been successful?

Epiphany

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:22:36 »
Mortality, this is the fourth or fifth pack of seeds I've tried, all different brands from different shops. I feel like such a numpty, all the packs etc say it's so easy to grow. Not for me it isn't!!!
~ Jenny ~

Waiting, oh so patiently, for an allotment, growing in pots and troughs and hanging baskets until then......

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:57:01 »
I've grown it... don't remember any difficulty.... but did it as an Autumn/Winter veg... so maybe it likes a slightly warmer start.
Just as an aside I was in Nottingham on Saturday evening and saw loads of Purslane growing in the pavements on the ropewalk...  :-\

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:30:47 »
I have it self-sown everywhere on my plots. It won't germinate in warm conditions, which could explain the failure indoors, but it should be cool enough for it outdoors at this time of year.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:35:31 »
maybe it's old seed. I've just sown some that's about 5 years old, so we'll see

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:41:45 »
Yes I was going to say that corn salad is grown here, in my local region - we are the biggest world producers! It goes out at the end of summer only, we crop it autumn through winter, and it is planted either in loose compost or the big producers grow it in mostly sand (that gets gritty though). I don't think you are growing it at the right time. It prefers the cool and the declining  days. Usually it is grown in big patches as it comes up like rosettes.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Epiphany

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 20:14:00 »
maybe it's old seed. I've just sown some that's about 5 years old, so we'll see

I'll wait for a while, I've just read it can take up to 21 days to germinate, so time will tell hey??
~ Jenny ~

Epiphany

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:42:04 »
Well I won't get excited just yet, but I stuck them in my bathroom cupboard 10 days ago and there are now tiny seedlings dotted here and there.

We don't know why things grow in that cupboard, it's not warm (not an airing cupboard) it's cool and dark, but it does seem to magically germinate things. We sowed chillis and put half in the cupboard and half on a window sill, the ones from the cupboard are twice the size of the others. It's wierd! Perhaps it's a magic cupboard......

I'll keep you posted with any progress!
~ Jenny ~

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 10:09:45 »
yes antipodes is right, and it's a winter salad, but  will do OK for a bit in the early part of the season.

problem for me with it is it doesn't look like the stuff you get in mixed salads from the supermarket, and it tends to get mildew (for me anyway)

a French type restaurant near us used to serve things "with a maché salad". Cornsalad should have been mache. Maché means "chewed-up" (nearly)  ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:12:42 by Bugloss2009 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal