Author Topic: Printing a web page  (Read 1758 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Printing a web page
« on: November 21, 2004, 19:51:32 »
Alright, it may be old hat to all you buffs, but I've been trying to figure for ages how to print the right hand side of the page in many cases. And there might be someone else in my situation?

Not only that, but isn't it irritating when the machine so often spits out a second page with only one irrelevant line on it??

It’s all to do with the File – Print Preview (does it fit on the page) –  (if it doesn’t) Page Setup – (Paper Size – landscape) And then it prints SIDEWAYS!! Sooo clever!

And if, on Preview, there is nothing of import on the 2nd page, select ‘Current Page’   = Tim

rdak

Re:Printing a web page
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 14:28:41 »
Tim,
This has always annoyed me too. Web pages are different to most computer files. Word, Excel etc are setup to be (usually) an A4 page (portrait or landscape) so whoever is typing in the document is constrained by the fact they are writing on "a page". Webpages, however, don't have that constraint and can be as wide as they are designed to be. The usual consideration when designing is how they look on your PC monitor, not when printed.
Internet Explorer is pretty dumb- you tell it to print portrait or landscape and it just does that- whether it runs off the page or not.

I have recently starting using a different browser, www.firefox.com ,which has a feature on the Print Preview that let's you shrink the size of the text down to fit the page. It's still involves some manual tweaking, but it's better than Internet Explorer. Better still, Firefox is not copyrighted so anyone with the knowhow can create enhancements for it. Maybe someone will create an enhancement to automatically fit pages to paper in the future?

Sarah-b

• Acre
Re:Printing a web page
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 09:39:38 »
Only just read this one Tim, but sometimes when a web page uses frames and the "focus" (ie: your last click) was on one frame (for instance a Table of Contents type bit on the left of a web page) and then you select to print, you will only get the ToC.
To print the other bit of the web page, you need to make sure that you have clicked in that frame.

Usually, if it is just the content I am wanting, I just copy and paste the whole thing into a word document for example and adjust it so it becomes a useful hard-copy document on preferably just one page.
Sarah.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal