Author Topic: Sour Cream Question.  (Read 1906 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Sour Cream Question.
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:24:31 »
I am about to make a cake [lemon coconut cake] which calls for sour cream. I dont have any sour cream but I do have yoghurt. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use yoghurt. Does anyone know if it would affect the end result of the cake ?

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Sour Cream Question.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 13:21:27 »
you can replace it with yoghurt..sour cream is a bit richer though..but it should not be problem..if your yoghurt is set sort you might need to add drop of milk to prevent cake coming dry

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 13:21:55 »
Don't actually know for sure - but if it was me I would go ahead with the yoghurt, think it is generally interchangeable in most recipes with sour cream.

p.s. save me a slice  ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 18:00:29 »
Sour, or in some recipes soured cream is a culture, similar to yoghurt.  I'm not entirely sure of the differences, but some cooks/chefs state that if you haven't got sour/soured cream, add a few drops of lemon juice to double cream to achieve a similar effect.

valmarg

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 20:04:39 »
Sour cream is simply lemon juice added to single cream to thicken it.

Yoghurt has a distinctive flavour so the end result would taste different. Any one with a sensitive palate will taste the distinctive yoghurt flavour.

The problem with commercially produced yoghurts is that they are usually not what I call a proper yoghurt. With all this low fat rubbish, they are intended for those who want a sweet without the calories.

The cake will probably turn out very well, especially if you use a decent Greek plain yoghurt.

You will no doubt, have made it by now so let us know how it turned out please.

I always wonder about these questions........

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 20:06:51 by PurpleHeather »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 20:16:18 »
Thanks for all your advice :) I made the cake today and it got the thumbs up from my OH :) I used a greek yoghurt with 10 % fat and it turned out lovely.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal