Author Topic: Aubergine, which one?  (Read 1236 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Aubergine, which one?
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:31:56 »
I have sown aubergine black beauty but read that they are not very good as the fruits take a long time to ripen. Is it to late to sow a different one?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Aubergine, which one?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 08:17:07 »
I like Fairytale, mine have not been planted very long just a few days but usually I am earlier XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:29:15 »
After this cold winter everything is behind but I do find that things tend to catch up to a great extent.
It is always worth a try.

I am trying Ophelia along with Black Beauty this year although this is the first time I have tried growing Aubergines as  the last two yesrs I did not remember to sow them in time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:33:08 by daveyboi »
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 00:44:40 »
I'm not keen on the big black ones or the small round green ones.

The smaller-fruited long black, violet or stripy types are my favourite - I find them more tender but even more importantly in a poor year you will get a few fruits per plant - it may only be 100g in total but better than the big fat zero you get from the plants that would produce fruits that are 200g+ each - but fail totally.

Of course in a bad year you might be lucky to see even a flower...
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal