Author Topic: spuds are showing  (Read 5136 times)

flitwickone

• Half Acre
spuds are showing
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:46:26 »
i think my spuds are coming through the mad thing is i dont know what a spud plant looks  like lol this is my first year ::)

and its pouring with rain here as well ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: spuds are showing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 12:18:16 »
Check out the piccies on other spud posts on edibles, you may have to scroll down, its been raining here as well.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Buckeye Girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 21:24:38 »
My earlies ( Lady Christl ) started poking their heads up last week - very Excited.    I decided to put some grass cuttings on top of them to help protect them.  No sign of my 2nd earlies, or Salad (Corolle ) yet.

Had a bit of rain today.  This is my first year too ...,  funny how ones opinion of rain changes once you are trying to grow things.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 21:11:14 »
Unlike most weeds they tend to be a darkish geen and are around 1 inch diameter with very thick/dense apperance.

I hope this helps

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Potatoes/Planting%20potatoes/planting%20potatoes.html

Good luck

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 21:43:30 »
earlies and some second earlies were showwing yesterday but theyve just been buried again.
My bag of tatties first and second earlies planted in feb have leaves about 2-3 foot high.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 21:50:34 by brownowl23 »

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 21:48:12 »
Whoops!

Having read my post I didn't mean to imply spuds were weeds.

I meant in comparison to weeds.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 22:41:35 »
Mine are well up & over the top of their tub, just enough room for another bucket of stuff

PIGEON

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 23:32:08 »
I think the frost killed my earlies  ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:04:01 »
It won't have killed them as it won't affect the roots. If it's knocked them back, they'll soon recover. Some of my second earlies are showing, plus the odd accidental.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 12:10:25 »
THe spuds are the ones appearing at regular intervals down the row and do not generally appear ramdomly elsewhere.  Depending on the variety they leaves may appear green or red.  (May appear elsewhre if grown the previous year.)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 14:42:54 »
Thought I would get in on the act!

I note with interest all the activity regarding planting this that and the other and how much earlier most of you are than me, but thats all I am....... just interested.

I have to admit I am never tempted to plant out any earlier but this year I have!! .....I  planted my earlies this morning a whole day earlier than I did last year ::)

Now looking forward to the first week in July (or erlier  ;D) now so I can eat them!

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 16:16:11 »
no sign of my spuds yet  mind you we have had no rain

but i,m sure they will be through soon

can,t wait to eat um  ;D
i don't belive death is the end

lidd63

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 20:11:19 »
I'd almost given up on my first earlies but they are finally showing through. I've dug a new bed and will bung my second earlies in there and see what happens. Anyone know if newly-converted lawn -to-veg bed harbours any dangers for spuds?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 12:55:34 »
I've only just got mine in apart from a couple of big pots I did up in March with a few first earlies in (Rocket in one, Swift in the other)... will see how that works out cos some extra spuds early in the season would be nice and if the pots in GH technique works I might try to push it back into February next year.....

chrisc

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 15:06:28 »
all of ours are showing  ;D
maris bard for the challenge are huge, sharpe's express, rocket, kestrel and desiree all popping their heads up  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 15:14:26 »
Got all of my lot in now ...the eqivalent of a 200 ft row! and I have the oven ready for the 'bakers' pans for the boilers, and not forgetting the chip pan. ;)

50ft Rocket, 50 ft Fir apple and 100 ft Kestrel.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 16:13:22 »
As usual I am amazed at how quickly they come up once they start. In a week, I now have foliage of several centimetres everywhere. Last night I was down there earthing them up and weeding them, sweet little things. They lok very different to weeds, as the leaves tend to grow up in a small rosette at first and quickly spread out into a luxuriant little shrub.
My earlies went in in February!!! so I am waiting for flowers to show and then I might be tempted to sacrifice a couple for those beaut little nuggets of baby potatoes  :P
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 16:29:34 »
Got all of my lot in now ...the eqivalent of a 200 ft row! and I have the oven ready for the 'bakers' pans for the boilers, and not forgetting the chip pan. ;)

ive got 150 foot of spuds :P
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 19:17:12 »

ive got 150 foot of spuds :P
All we have is two rows of trials, they are a measley 10' each. :-[

Got them back now to put some tread on them

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 13:24:02 »
I think I've got the equivalent of about 100 feet of spuds but quite a few of them are in pots, the Congo and Vitelotte are in the GH (and might well be again by the end of the summer cos they have a rep for very long growth time), all the first earlies are in pots as an experiment (I'm not a massive eater of new potatoes in the summer but like the taste... so I grow PFA and I'm experimenting with some Anya's too.... Lots of other experimentals, some of the Sarpo's, a back-to-back trial of Pentland Dell vs Valor vs Spirit for big bakers (cos I eat a lot of big bakers and want to know how to grow them, Spirit seems to have an advantage there cos it only seems to chit one eye, even though the seeds are tiny), Setanta vs Desiree as a main and Smile, Highland Red, Salad Blue for some light relief....plus the Congo and Vitelotte as part of an experiment/good-natured argument between me and another  A4A'er as to whether they're the same thing.... I think the Congo are a bit rounder adn the Vitelotte are longer and thinner, like someone has dyed a Ratte blue... but that is based on a tiny sample of micro-tuber seed spuds....

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal