Author Topic: Cutting down only half of autumn raspberries in Febuary?  (Read 906 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
Last night on 'The Edible Garden' Alys said that she only cuts back half her autumn fruiting raspberries in February each year as this way she gets earlier fruit on the canes she didn't cut down  She also says she doesn't do this to the same canes each year as this would weaken the canes, she alternates it (which is why she only leaves half uncut each year),

I was wondering if anyone on here does this and if you laeve the canes every other year as she suggests then wouldn't it eventually weaken the canes?

If it works as she says then the earlier fruit would be great...but is this too good to be true?
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Cutting down only half of autumn raspberries in Febuary?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:48:26 »
Yep...I do that ..but it doesn't weaken nothing... ::)
In spring..when I prune autumn ones..I leave couple of canes per plant uncut..these will fruit earlier..and as new canes are starting to grow and have reached half way the old ones then I remove the old ones..just purely to give room for the newbies,,as otherwise they struggle to grow strong and "straight".
I wonder if this is what she really meant with "weakening"..but if you "double crop it" then you have to remember to feed and mulch(water) a bit more too ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:00:27 »
I suppose it would be the sensible thing to do if you were short of room and didn't have room for the summer fruiters.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 13:38:40 »
Ahh...that is exactly why I do it..not for me, but in clients garden..maximise the space..

gypsy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 14:11:27 »
I have tried this but the earlier fruit had maggoty things in and were smaller. The later fruit was big and clean, no bugs. So now I cut them all down and tie in the new growth, then wait ages for the fruit.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 14:26:22 »
Gypsy...I think you were just unlucky to get the "maggoty" things in your fruit...some years you get them some not..

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 15:05:33 »
How much earlier do you get a crop if you cut alternate canes? Is it is worth having summer fruiting raspberries?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 15:11:25 »
I'm always bleating on about this! The reason they are cut down before the new growth is that commercially it saves a fortune to run a tractor over them with a cutter rather than pruning by hand. This has trickled down into home growing myth as being the best way to grow them - but unless you're using a tractor, there's no point! Prune out wood that has fruited is the best advice for all raspberries. You'll get a longer season and a higher overall yield.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 20:27:50 »
I have cut down my autumn fruiting raspberries to withing about 1 inch ever year for the past 4 (since I got the allotment) I have fruit galore. Can't keep up with picking it. When I have chopped it down it makes weed clearing easier, too.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal