Author Topic: yet another manure question please.  (Read 1281 times)

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
yet another manure question please.
« on: April 28, 2010, 14:07:24 »
I did a search but couldn't find an answer so please forgive me if this has been asked before.
I have found a source of farmyard manure(mostly cow but with horse and chicken)
I have to dig it out myself and it has been there for at least a couple of years.
It is mostly dark brown/black with no visible bedding.
there is an occasional seam of dark brown teeming with worms and a small amount of straw visible.
why is this not as rotted?
Is it o.k to use?
there is no smell to it,its just lighter and more moist.
I would prefer not to have to seperate it out if it is usable now.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: yet another manure question please.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 15:33:58 »
Could they be more specific about how old it is? Less than 3 years (I think) there could be a risk of aminopyralid contamination. Other than that it sound great. We bagged up 150 bags of 4 year old cow manure last year. We were the envy of a few people ;D. Yours sounds just right for our no dig system.

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 16:15:25 »
the "newest" is at least 3 years old,but the section I am digging from is a lot older,thats wht i don't know why some is very well rotted and seams of it are different.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 17:28:49 »
there is an occasional seam of dark brown teeming with worms and a small amount of straw visible.

This area was probably very wet at some time so the worms avoided it, now that it has drained  it would seem the worms are hard at work doing what worms do best.

Is it o.k to use?

Go for it you lucky devil!  :P

tugboat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 17:51:38 »
do check it by growing some broad beans in a 50/50 mix with soil if they grow ok then you
know you are safe.I can speak from experience of having contaminated manure myself -it is
heart breaking to spread on your ground and discover your crops get seriously damaged

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 19:31:16 »
do check it by growing some broad beans in a 50/50 mix with soil if they grow ok then you
know you are safe.I can speak from experience of having contaminated manure myself -it is
heart breaking to spread on your ground and discover your crops get seriously damaged

I did a bean test with bits I took from different sections(its over a very large area) and all seems fine.
I am worried that there could still be contamination within some sections of it as I understand it could be a possibility.
the farmer assures me the aminonasty hasn't been used on his land but they do rent out stables so there is always a slim chance I suppose.

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 19:33:28 »

This area was probably very wet at some time so the worms avoided it, now that it has drained  it would seem the worms are hard at work doing what worms do best.

Is it o.k to use?

Go for it you lucky devil!  :P

I belive you may be spot on there Tee Gee,the area I dug today would have been subjected to rain run off from a tin roof!
Always a logical explanation.
Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal