Author Topic: Is my PVC material suitable for temporary polytunnel or greenhouse covering?  (Read 2371 times)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
I have been trawling the net for an answer but to no avail.

When I inherited my plot, along with all the goodies that the previous holder (prolific hoarder) had left behind was reams of light blue semi-transparent plastic sheeting.

Q.I am wondering if I can use this as a covering for a temporary polytunnel or wooden frame.  I want to grow giant pumpkins next year and am aware that some of the best are grown in commercial greenhouses and therefore want to give myself the best chance I can.
I am aware that the sheeting may not be UV stabilised and may crack up and shatter at some point and I am not so concerned with longevity but more so whether the material will let an adequate spectrum of light for the plants needs.

Any advice or experience most welcome.

Happy new year in advance  8)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:25:21 by Dandytown »

daitheplant

• Acre
As you say, the problem is how much light is let through. As you are the only one who actully knows how transparent or otherwise the material is, I would say try it, what do you have to lose? It`s not costing you anything. If you find the plants are starting to suffer from lack of light you just remove it. :)
DaiT

rugbypost

• Hectare
Over the years before the internet i have travel every where on bank holidays ,my wife would say were we going today it was always a garden centre well most plastic sheets weather over 2/3 years it does not make much differance if they are   coated . they to expensive and do not give a return on cost but as yours are free make doors and sides out of them, then i use biulders clear plastic polythene very strong will last you years buy the right glue to stick the joins and make sure you have a strong frame  that is were you want to spend your money it will last forever Rugbypost
m j gravell

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
The main colour to avoid 'feeding' them is green - that's the colour plants 'throw away'.

That's why you see it bounce off whereas all the other colours in the rainbow are absorbed and used for growth.

Unfortunately even red plants will languish under a really green cover.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Thank you everyone for your posts.  I guess there's little to lose so I will give it a go.  Two pumpkins to be grown so one can be the guinea pig so to speak. 

I will try and remember this post and return to it with a picture when it is built and in use.  My trials and tribulations may be of use to others  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal