Author Topic: a leak and tadpoles  (Read 2481 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
a leak and tadpoles
« on: April 27, 2010, 20:12:15 »
I have a pond on the lottie which I made, putting carpet under pond membrane. It seems to have sprung a leak anyway.It was reducing slowly and as long as I put 5 cans of water each week it kept it up. today though the leak seems to be going faster.

So I had hoped to limp along filling it up until my millions of tadpoles had grown up and left home, but I am not sure I will manage that.
Any advice on how to keep my lovely tadpoles alive and manage the pond please?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: a leak and tadpoles
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 20:48:35 »
I was in the aquatics department at our local garden centre today and noticed a product which claims to stop leaks in one go. It looked like a liquid that is poured into the pond. Didn't buy it - even though I'm almost sure I have a small leak somewhere in my pond - as it cost a tenner and I didn't have enough cash with me.

Tricia

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:13:19 »
Pond repair kits cost from about £5. Patches can be fitted underwater but it's usually easier to find the hole if you let the water drain away as the water level stops going down once it reaches the hole giving you a good idea where to look. As soon as it is patched the pond can be topped up from a water butt.
There is a better explanation here:
http://www.pondexpert.co.uk/RepairingYourPond.html

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:30:27 »
I've been wondering if the several inches of ice this winter have caused a leak in my small pond.  It's definitely going down, but I can't do much about it now till the autumn so I'm filling pails of water to let them settle for two weeks so I can top it up.  I suspect the hole is very small & probably won't be visible to the naked eye, so we may end up biting the bullet and replacing the whole liner - an opportunity to make it a tiny bit bigger .....

Re the tadpoles - they will survive in quite shallow water so if you can keep it topped up a bit between rain showers, they may get through until they grow legs?  hard to say without knowing how big and how much water?
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:54:04 »
You don't mention the size so this might not be adequate but could you buy a thin plastic drop cloth/tarp like you'd use for painting and slide it in the water to lay on top of the old liner? If the hole is on the bottom that might work until the tadpoles are grown.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal