Author Topic: Sweetcorn - how many do you grow?  (Read 11533 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Sweetcorn - how many do you grow?
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:10:05 »
Good Morning  :)

I'm about to sow my sweetcorn seeds, and based on last years semi miserable efforts I'm trying to improve on the quantity and quality - always an optimist  :)
Now I know about planting in blocks of 4 x 4. But my question is roughly how many plants do you guys grow? There's 2 of us (plus friends an family get a look in every now and then). Would 1 patch of 16 plants be enough for the 2 of us? Or should I do to patches of 16, or would that provide enough sweetcorn to feed Hastings!!

Thanks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Sweetcorn - how many do you grow?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:19:13 »
As a family of four we grow 25-30 plants.... you can rely on 1 1/2 to 2 good cobs per plant in a moderate season 2+ in a good Summer... that's some fresh and a freezer drawer of cobs....
 :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:21:33 »
Bearing in mind that seed doesn't keep well for corn andn that it freezes well, you might want to pant a fair bit.

John and I for two of us grew 50.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:06 »
And freezing it is really useful.  It doesn't need blanching, just trim, wrap in clingfilm and freeze.  When you want to eat it microwave straight from the freezer for the same time as cooking it from fresh as it is only the outside that needs cooking, it works really well.  I grew 48 last year for the 2 in my family that eat it!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:27:17 »
And if you go into search and look for Jeannine's guide to growing sweetcorn, she recommends only three weeks from germination to planting out and it certainly worked for me last year, I had a much better crop, thanks Jeannine ;)

Here you are.... reply no 22....

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40653.msg406402.html#msg406402

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:29:57 by Tulipa »

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:38 »
We only like it fresh and with 16 plants that gives two of us more than enough to eat until we get fed up feasting on it/they get too chewy. And few to give away.

I would suggest you work it on four plants per person if you are going to freeze it for occasional use over the year.

PIGEON

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:49:52 »
I had sown about 30 seeds direct into the ground and have 20 seedlings from the greenhouse, to plant today.  :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:11:52 »
thanks for the replies  :)

I think last year really wasn't great! Nowhere near 1 to 2 cobs per plant! I grew Asworth - am trying Swift this year  :)

And thanks Tulipa for Jeannines 3 week tip  :) I meant to do it last year but also failed miserably on that count! So will definitely try it this year.

Jeannine - I guess you and John like your corn  ;)

thanks again

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:26:46 »
I counted my seedlings last night and I have 5 in a pot and 15 in a bigger container. I will do 5 more this weekend, just to make up for losses.
Mine will go out in about a fortnight, or at least into the coldframe soon.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 12:07:12 »
My first will go out in the middle of next month. They may need fleecing at some point, but as they're forecasting warm weather I don't mind risking it.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 13:40:02 »
1066 - I found that chitting the seeds on damp kitchen tissue in a warm place saves on space as you only plant up those that show a little 'tail' after a few days. I'm growing Applause again this year and my friend has started some of Jeannine's Honey Select, which also did great last year.

My plants are ready to go out tomorrow under fleece. Don't tell Jeannine -  :-X.  but they were planted up on 29 March so they've been growing for 4 weeks. Never mind, with this lovely warm weather I'm sure they'll do well.

Tricia

PS: I have 16 plants - and that is just for me - I luv corn  :).

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 13:45:10 »
Tricia - your secret is safe with me  ;)  :)

The chitting sounds a sensible idea as well - I was planning on sowing them this week so that way I should be planting out in mid may, we don't tend to get frosts here after that date....... Last year I did the same but they did sulk a bit, I'm hoping by sticking to the 3 week thing they won't sulk as much  :-\ time will tell!

I think it will have to be somewhere between 16 and 30 for the 2 of us and if we are lucky and have a bumber crop our freinds and family will no doubt benefit  ;D

And thanks again for all the replies  ;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 14:04:45 »
I've never had a problem with germination, not when they're sowed in the greenhouse, but I had a almost complete failure when I tried direct sowing last year.

I've grown 7x7 for the two of us.  It was probably more than we needed, but they're fun to grow.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 15:24:24 »
Last year I grew one variety of 28 plants and only got around 20 cobs, can't remember the name.  But the second variety, I had 36 plants and had over 50 large cobs.  (T&M Tender and Sweet)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 16:18:45 »
We plant about 25 plants and have been getting 3 to four cods per plant in recent years

in a block  :)
i don't belive death is the end

PIGEON

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 16:23:01 »
So it looks as though sowing direct into the soil is a bad idea...  :(

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 16:30:36 »
Good tip about 3 weeks. I intend to sow mine next weekend, but might leave it another week.

I tend to grow about 16 plants. Only did 12 last year and got a dismall crop.

On GW last week Toby said you should sow them two to a pot and leave both plants in as they grow well that close. Anyone tried it? I'm a bit sceptical myself!
gone to pot :D

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 16:31:09 »
I would go for pots in greenhouse to start off  !!
 :)
i don't belive death is the end

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 16:51:14 »
Jeannine is panting well, and Graceland is growing fish (cod).   ;D ;D ;D  Sorry, but my job at work was proof reading, did make me laugh, just off to the lovely allotment to do some watering.  Hit me if you like.  :( :( :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal