Author Topic: Is it a female thing?  (Read 3843 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Is it a female thing?
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 10:23:17 »
dunno the program of course, but my plot is a bit of a dog's dinner. I can never seem to make things go in a straight line! I should have taken a photo of the new potatoes, some of the lines are quite straight then others seem to converge at the end and a few plants have sprung up in the middle of things!
I am more about patches - patch of carrots, patch of rocket, patch of strawbs and peas. I also leave volunteers, against common sense, I just can't waste something that will grow into an edible vegetable! I do plant flowers in with the veg too, mostly very rustic things like zinneas, marigolds etc.
Some of the other allotment holders at my place, I swear they must get down with a ruler and spirit level, One old bird (a woman) has not ONE blade of grass, I looked the other day and couldn't find one.  They think I am mad of course but as I am seen as "the English woman" they put it down to some kind of foreign eccentricity (But do marvel at my abundance of strawberries and rhubarb and think my penchant for strange coloured courgettes and pumpkins rather fascinating).
Not sure if it has anything to do with male or female though. more on your level of anal retentiveness!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 17:00:53 »
I don't think male/ female has anything to do with it! It's more about where you are on the autistic spectrum! :o :o :o ;)

Ratio of Autistic males to females is 4:1  ;)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 17:23:45 »

Ratio of Autistic males to females is 4:1  ;)

We have to be, otherwise life with a female would drive us insane.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 17:29:16 »
I watched 1st Edible Garden and thought it was crap.

;D ;D

My feelings exactly although I failed to get through episode one. She did nothing wrong  but the idea one can be self sufficient from a tiny garden is a joke.

At least the `Good life` was a comedy

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 17:37:54 »
I don't think male/ female has anything to do with it! It's more about where you are on the autistic spectrum! :o :o :o ;)

For my vege plot I prefer rows or spacings, i'm not keen on the edible garden technique at all so don't watch it, also I find Alys irritating anyway...don't know why. I'm not fully autistic but recognise that I'm leaning that way, may be years of looking after or living with others who are Autistic.
My shed is a disorganised mess and just opening the door could result in serious injury...and nearly has.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 18:23:37 »
My shed is a disorganised mess and just opening the door could result in serious injury...and nearly has.

I took my wife to the plot last Saturday...

There's beds to dig, potatoes to plant, cabbages to plant, seeds and plants of every description to sow or plant out. Oh, and 2 ton of manure to distribute evenly all over the place and what does she do? She tidies my shed up.

Now I can't do any of the above because I can't find any bloody tools to do it with.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 18:24:54 »
I LOVE newly ploughed fields- tidy soil is great!
I've loved this too since childhood.  I find the order restful and comforting.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 18:39:36 »
I LOVE newly ploughed fields- tidy soil is great!
I've loved this too since childhood.  I find the order restful and comforting.
Me too! And I love lists and numbers.

As to Alys - I don't mind her on GW. She comes across to me as being a bit frumpy and lacking in sense of humour though. On her Edible Garden, however, she seems to have undergone a personality change and to me is seriously scatty. I am so distracted by that, that I can't process what she is talking about! I don't like her garden. It's for crazy people! Chaosville.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 19:07:40 »

I took my wife to the plot last Saturday...

There's beds to dig, potatoes to plant, cabbages to plant, seeds and plants of every description to sow or plant out. Oh, and 2 ton of manure to distribute evenly all over the place and what does she do? She tidies my shed up.

Now I can't do any of the above because I can't find any bloody tools to do it with.

Lol  :P
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

lornaluft

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 19:13:16 »
I can't comment of the tv show, having never watched it, but I can put in my bit about allotment lay out. I tend to work in large rectangles, with short rows in each rectangle. This way I can get around to weed and pick but there is a little bit of order look about it. It keeps it easy to keep a neat plan of the plot as well. Other plot holders may look on baffled but I seem to have just as much success as their neat rows although I have admit theres looks better!!  ;)

amphibian

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 19:52:13 »
I like veg grown in rows, I think they're beautiful like that.

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 20:01:00 »
well, I'm male and very autistic, every year without fail I paint my g/house in a nice cool shade and sign it Monet.

Cant stand the show.

Dont care how my veggrows as long as I can eat it after.
Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 14:12:00 »
I really don't like the program.  My plot is full of straight lines of veg and i'm female.  I love straight lines  on my allotment but i love flowers that aren't in straight lines too so my veg is in straight lines and i have a separate flower garden outside my shed...best of both worlds
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 10:13:25 »
had my allotment 2 weeks and was told i have seen too many programs and  got strange looks when i said i will be growing flowers too! full of men who been doing for years! i like it tidy and pretty i have made paths between the beds with wigwams for my peas and sweetpeas! its just a hobbie

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 15:14:40 »
Its to do with organisation. If you want to use your land to its best effect, then you need to make it easy to rotate crops and easy to plan out. I dont keep an allotment for beauty, whats the point, thats what you have a garden for. i have an allotment to grow as much as  i can on. round beds and higgeldy piggledy layouts waste space and can bite you in the bum if you dont observe rotation.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal