Author Topic: Marrowfat Peas?  (Read 5173 times)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Marrowfat Peas?
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:11:38 »
My husband only really likes Marrowfat Peas, im going to be growing 'Onward', but does anyone know any other types of Marrowfat ones we could try please? ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Ishard

• Hectare
Re: Marrowfat Peas?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 12:26:10 »
A person on my allotment site buys the dried ones from the supermarket and soaks them and plants those. He gets a good cop.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:38:34 »
http://www.organiccatalogue.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_22_23_33

Is this any good? A list of wrinkle-seeded varieties. Real Seeds have some interesting ones too.

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 14:13:18 »
http://www.organiccatalogue.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_22_23_33

Is this any good? A list of wrinkle-seeded varieties. Real Seeds have some interesting ones too.

Thanks thats great  ;D
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 18:11:28 »
A person on my allotment site buys the dried ones from the supermarket and soaks them and plants those. He gets a good cop.

My dad did the same and they were lovely :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 19:55:43 »
Yup

The easiest is to buy a pack of dried peas meant for making mushy peas.

Soak over night in COLD water.

Plant and grow. Let the peas get as big as they can so that the pods blister, harvest and dry.

But with ready dried peas at £1.50 a kilo retail. I would not bother.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 13:56:39 »
Marrowfats are ordinary green peas which are left to mature and picked as dry peas. I don't know whether there are specific varieties, or whether the term includes purple podded peas and the like harvested in that way.

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 15:38:41 »
Ignore this post, since my husband will soon be my Ex, I'll grow what I d**n well please.
/Rant off...that felt better.  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 01:08:55 »
 Pretty sure it is only the dried wrinkled varieties that used for  Marrowfat peas, the rounded varieties are also dried but are used in other forms of cooking. Round ones don't make good mushy peas that I do know for a fact cos I have tried.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:59:13 »
Ignore this post, since my husband will soon be my Ex, I'll grow what I d**n well please.
/Rant off...that felt better.  ;D

;D ;D ;D..sorry could not help ;D ;D..I stopped asking OH's wishes for what to grow years ago...he is just the work horse now..anything to do with grass..extra mussle power (note extra!)..machinery and lighting fires..and that's under my supervision only... ;D ;D ;D..life is so much easier that way.. ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:06:24 »
I planted some peas ,well little grandson did a couple of weeks ago.We keep looking but nothing happening yet  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 14:29:09 »
Pretty sure it is only the dried wrinkled varieties that used for  Marrowfat peas, the rounded varieties are also dried but are used in other forms of cooking. Round ones don't make good mushy peas that I do know for a fact cos I have tried.

XX Jeannine

You're right; 'marrow peas' were the original wrinkled varieties. I don't do muchy peas (had a bad experience with bright green chips once and that was enough for me!) but round-seeded peas have more starch and less sugar, which could make the difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal