Author Topic: soil questions?  (Read 1741 times)

cacran

• Hectare
soil questions?
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:28:07 »
Can I use sharp sand to add to my grow bags to give heavier texture. I thought it would help with drainage. ???

another small question, what do you think of growing toms in grow bags? I usually pot mine up but thought using grow bags would save me a lot of time washing out pots etc. Are the cheaper ones that are quite narrow suitable and how many plants to a bag?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: soil questions?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:19:13 »
with tomatoes you need all the water the grow bag can hold on...drainage is not normally the problem so I would not add any sand.
Tomatoes are ok in growbags...but.....I would still grow them in large pot and place this on top of the bag...that's if you grow bush or cordon type tomatoes...as they grow so large they really do  better with extra growing space..and I would not put any more than 3 plants per bag.
If you however grow small container/basket type tomatoes you could get up to 5 in growbag and that's without extra pots..

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:28:28 »
..and...How big are you growbags.?..when I used to use them, if the bag said "3 plant bag"..I only planted 2 etc...I always had one less than bag was designed for as there is never really enough compost in them for the stated amount..

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:32:29 »
My problems with growbags are:

1 - they dry out as soon as you turn your back
2 - I cant get a bamboo stick to stand up in one!

I just use builders buckets filled with compost/manure - has the advantage that you can move em around  if needed (moved mine of the patio last year when I had people round for a drink and a barbie!!)
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 16:27:51 »
Tip for growbags;

Lift the bag from the middle and allow equal amounts of compost to filter to either side of the crease produced.

Cut along the crease, effectively cutting the bag in half.

Form a few holes in either end of the bag.

Stand the half bags on end which gives you effectively two deep pots.

Roll the surplus bag plastic down to just above soil level this will stiffen the edges.

If during the season the feeding roots become exposd you can unroll the plastic to deepen tha bag and add more compost!

This method is certainly better for moisture retention than bags laid flat!

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 10:57:35 »
Tee Gee. I think that is just what I will do. Spunds like a perfect idea for me.

Still would like views on using sharp sand mixed with compost to make it more free draining and adding substance (not for the toms!)just to use as a general copost for plants or seeds. I got a bag of sharp sand from Wickes. ???

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 15:59:16 »
Still would like views on using sharp sand mixed with compost

This is my view on it; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Compost/Compost.htm

Personally I only consider adding sand/grit for particular purposes.

For general use I make do with the amount of sand that is already mixed in at source!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 16:16:43 »
It is not the sand that is used for create heavier texture...it is loam..sand and grit do both make compost heavier but does make it more open and so compost drain and dry out quicker too...generally you would use both sand and/or grit for medium that particular plant require(as Tee Gee already mentioned). As use of loam will not only make you compost heavier it will behave more like compost too...holding moisture.  I think what you are trying to achive is more like soil texture..am I right?..if that is what you like..you can buy bagged top soil..mix this with compost...50/50..although with cucumbers and tomatoes I would add some grit to this mixture too...Now were are close to John Innes no2 compost mixture which you can buy ready made.. ;)
But remember if you start mixing you own compost then you have to think of that you are also diluting the fertilizer that is in compost..loam/topsoil/sand/grit they all are generally no/low nutrient bases so you may have to give some extra feed for you mixture..eg..handfull of Flood, Fish and Bone meal per big bucket of your mix..

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 19:59:19 »
My problems with growbags are:

1 - they dry out as soon as you turn your back
2 - I cant get a bamboo stick to stand up in one!

I just use builders buckets filled with compost/manure - has the advantage that you can move em around  if needed (moved mine of the patio last year when I had people round for a drink and a barbie!!)
Growbags with grow pots dry out at about 1/3 the speed of a pot - I don't have problems and a growbag will easily hold 2 gallons of water.

You don't stick the cane in the growbag. In the green house I use strings tied to the roof and outside I push the cane into the ground and use strings tied to the top of it.

If you want to give your tomatoes a boost put a double handful of fresh nettle leaves into the growbag when planting.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 22:10:59 »
 I have had a look at yourlink, Tee Gee. It is very helpful.
Yes, Goodlife, you were right. It was the texture that I was trying to achieve. I realise that there is a lot more to it, now.  :-[

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal