Author Topic: How do you deal with idiots?  (Read 4053 times)

Cruz

• Not So New ...
How do you deal with idiots?
« on: April 18, 2010, 15:52:13 »
After nearly two years of internal  battles, our allotment association voted in a new committee recently, replacing one incumbent with some new blood and altering the whole atmosphere at the allotment for the better. Five people, including the three incumbents, were challenged by two wannabee commitee members, one of whom was aligned to two of the incumbents and the third to the other incumbent, who was basically leading a rebel faction of conservatives. Still with me? The conservative committee member was voted off and the wannabee conservative member got a paltry 20% of the total vote, coming bottom of the five people who wanted to be commitee members.
Despite the humiliation, the person who didn't get on the committee has now resulted to gorilla warfare to spread their influence, including telling untruths to new plot holders regarding how the allotment is being run.
My question is this: should the committee be doing anything to counter this malicious influence? As one of the three current commitee members, I warn newcomers about this person, who effectively spread their influence to a group of about 8 plot holders in one corner of the site. Most people aren't taken in by the lies, although they do sound extremely credible. The person in question is akin to a soap villain. Although it sounds like a caricature, this person really is the rotten apple in the barrel.
What would you do?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: How do you deal with idiots?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 16:04:57 »
Cruz

Start by remembering that an allotment is supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

If these factions really do pose a risk to the committee and association (as opposed to an irritation) then think of ways to get the truth out there.  I would be inclined to completely ignore the rumours - you just get into a spiral of you said, they said, he said and that never ends well.

Do you have a website, noticeboard etc?  Use whatever resources you have to publicise what is really happening.

Accept that other people will form opinions different to yours and will have their own version of the truth.

If all else fails, keep smiling :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 18:26:58 »
This sort of situation is a nightmare. I've endured it from a couple of church members who lost out on power (all they care about) when a former minister pursuaded one of them to retire as a church steward. It all culminated in libellous letters about the builder after I had a disabled entrance (required under the Disability Discrimination Act) put into the church shop. If you come up with any answers, do let us know. I'm not sure it's over yet!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 18:34:45 »
try putting a copy of the minutes of the committee meetings on the notice board, this should help stave off any rumours about how things are done.
You couldn't make it up!

PIGEON

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 15:23:05 »
The trouble with things like a committee is some people just want to wield their power.  If it was me, I would just grow my veg and not be involved in the committee.

PIGEON

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 16:05:51 »
By the sounds of all that I'm just glad that our proposed 'allotment committee' fell on its face, :)

pennsylvannia planters

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 16:11:04 »
The trouble with things like a committee is some people just want to wield their power.  If it was me, I would just grow my veg and not be involved in the committee.

PIGEON

We have a membership of over 300 people, without the committee to collect rents, run the shop, negotiate leases, keep the plots/lanes clean and tidy, mediate when disputes arise (and they do), i'd hate to see the state we would be in.
Yes there are power crazy people on committees, but i have found that 90% of the committee are there for the association and not for the power.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 17:11:44 »

PIGEON

We have a membership of over 300 people, without the committee to collect rents, run the shop, negotiate leases, keep the plots/lanes clean and tidy, mediate when disputes arise (and they do), i'd hate to see the state we would be in.
Yes there are power crazy people on committees, but i have found that 90% of the committee are there for the association and not for the power.

We've got over 650 members, 1000 plots on 14 sites, it couldn't run properly without a committee!!   ;)
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 17:13:43 »
Most committee's can fall out with themselves without too much trouble/input from the association...  :-X

Welcome to A4A Pigeon...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 18:39:30 »
You need committees, but any voluntary organisation is vulnerable to the person't who comes along willing to do jobs, and just starts grabbing power. Most people will leave rather than fight a bully.

PIGEON

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 22:28:34 »
Thank goodness our allotments are just small.  I can't begin to imagine acres of allotments.

PIGEON

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 22:54:27 »
Shotgun.... if nobody's looking....  ::)

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 09:06:03 »
Welcome to a4a, pigeon.

If you don't have one, the committee/secretary needs to sort out a document outlining the democratic structure of the association, voting procedures, etc. This should alleviate some of your issues. do you display a 'who's who in the association' on your notice boards, including contact details? if you have a site hut, perhaps you could display copies of minutes of meetings either inside or attached to outside of shed? Communication is usually the answer.
(p.m. me email address and I'll send a copy of our association document on voting procedures, if you need something to plagiarise)
You couldn't make it up!

Cruz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 11:42:34 »
The information is out there for everybody to access. Procedures are in place covering most eventualities. However, some people take a sour grapes approach to everything. If they don't like what is going on, they whinge and complain, irrespective of majority opinion. Me, if I lost out in an election, I would probably eat humble pie and shut my mouth whilst doing it, but some people just go on and on and on. You wonder whether they aren't lacking something in their lives!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:50 »
Some folk only seem to be happy when they have something to moan about.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

PIGEON

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 08:59:26 »
Shotgun.... if nobody's looking....  ::)
;D

It was in the paper yest' A local farmer threatens Hot air balloon pilot with shotgun...  I bet the local firearms department are round there now...  ;D
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Balloonist-threatened-with-a-shotgun.6252191.jp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal