Author Topic: Spring flower bulbs....  (Read 1301 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Spring flower bulbs....
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:19:14 »
....such as crocus, snow drop, daffodils and tulips.   When do I plant the bulbs?   I am currently creating a 4-foot wide border around my large front lawn and I want to put some spring flowers in it as I loove to see the flowers come up.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
Re: Spring flower bulbs....
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:03:20 »
Spring flowering bulbs are usually planted from September (crocus, daffodil) through to November (tulips)- if you can still get hold of them, it's best to plant snowdrops "in the green" rather than as bulbs. 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 18:40:08 »
Yep all bulbs you mentioned you can lift, divide and plant now...but tulips you plant late autumn early winter.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 19:39:20 »
Be careful where you get things like snowdrops. Daffs are almost indestructible, but many bulbs can't stand dessication, and if you buy them in garden centres they're often dead. That's why they tend to be planted in the green. It's bad for the bulb, but at least you know it's alive!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 18:26:22 »
If you can hold of on them wilkinsons always sell of thier big array of bulbs in order to make room for the christmas things around the end of october. They do great variaties that are healthy and where else can you get four hyacinths for 25p?

If you want something special I always buy from Peter Nyssan. They sell an amazing variety of bulbs and they are without fail fat and helathy and they sell the most fabulous parrot tulips such as texa flame that are just gorgeous.

If its bulbs for easiness you could try lillys, gladdioli, and Irises these can still be planted now or bought shooting.

good luck
x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal