Author Topic: Clematis  (Read 1959 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Clematis
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:57:32 »
My neighbour had a beautiful clematis trailing all along our dividing fence ( it was one of the reasons I bought the house!), granted it is only a very ordinary one, but was always covered in masses of bloom, this year however it is sadly lacking & neither of us know why or what to do, your help would be much appreciated.
It has been there about 9-10 years she thinks.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Clematis
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 14:42:00 »
Can you tell us when it flowers, what colour it is, has the top growth been frozen to death or just not flowered?

If it's been frozen, cut out all the dead wood down to healthy buds and give it a jolly good feed of liquid rose or tomato fertiliser plus a generous helping of pelleted chicken manure and then garden compost to feed its roots more slowly.  This should help it regrow and flower next year.

If it seems fine but isn't flowering, the same treatment will encourage it to form flowering buds for next year.  It can also be lightly pruned to encourage new buds to form.

I'd give it the treatment anyway as clems are greedy plants. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 14:51:19 »
I would say the same as Obbelix, we have a beautiful clematis that is about 10 years old and it looked dead but as I was cutting it back I noticed it shooting from the ground so have cut it right back and given it a good feed and hope it survives, I have a few but this is my most favourite. :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 21:16:07 »
Sometimes a fungus attacks it, but only the top dies off. The roots are still viable.
Hope that's the problem.

I have sort of the opposite problem: I've been nursing a young clematis to climb a young tree.
This year the clematis was finally bushy and reaching up high. I was out there yesterday
looking at how great the clematis was...when I noticed the tree had died!! :o funny really.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 19:55:14 »
OOOPS ;D

I have planted a young Miss Bateman in a pot,a large one want it to grow up a trellis,want to put Nelly Moser in alongside it but not sure if this is a good idea.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 20:00:56 »
I googled them, clematis Miss Bateman looks beautiful. I wonder if two in one pot would be a strain on them?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 20:53:57 »
I think you need a minimum 18" pot for a clematis.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 13:31:27 »
This is the pot I have put Miss Bateman in,have decided to stay at just the one.

Going to put a trellis on the wall behind.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 14:08:43 »
This is the pot I have put Miss Bateman in

Pretty pots. the touches of blue are so pretty in amongst plants.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 14:25:08 »
Yes they used to live on my caravan decking but as I am not there most of the time the lack of watering made for poor plants.Decided to bring them home.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal