Author Topic: Fruit Cage  (Read 1424 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Fruit Cage
« on: April 22, 2010, 19:20:38 »
evening all  :D

I'm planning on sorting out a fruit cage for my plot. But the area which would be most convenient (for me) gets some shade from trees in the summer afternoons. So would it be ok to use that area for fruit, or should I use the area for something else? I was planning on black currants, red currants, gooseberries, blueberries and strawberries

Thanks

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Fruit Cage
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 19:27:33 »
I'd suggest that the currants and goosgogs are kind of woodland plants anyway so they might tolerate the shade reasonably well.  Bilberries are also woodland plants so the blueberry might also be OK, though I can't get mine to thrive even in the sun!

There's not much that we grow that particularly enjoys the shade so if it was me I think I'd put the soft fruit there and see how it got on.  Not so sure about the strawbs, but they're pretty vigourous so I'd guess they'd be OK.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 21:40:38 »
I think that would be ideal after a glorious summers day beating down on your fruit bushes and then they could chill out in the afternoon shade, :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 00:45:39 »
Thanks for the replies - and the thumbs up  :)
I'm sure I read somewhere that strawbs are essentially a woodland type plant (but then I could be completely off target there!)

I think the 1 thing I was wondering most of all was if the currants would prefer more sun, but hey nothing tried nothing gained  :)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 18:12:11 »
I had done some reading up about fruit earlier in the year
the shade tolerance (from those who will thrive in shady to those that will sulk) goes from morello cherry, red currant, raspberry, rhubarb, blackcurrant ,gooseberry, apple, pear, plum, to strawberry. Hope that helps.
x sunloving

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:59:12 »
Yes it does Sunloving - thanks  :)
I've also been doing some more reading up and was beggining to think it was a bad idea. But I'm a bit stuck for space at the moment, and the fruit bushes are in pots. So I I'll give it a go this year and look at having a re-org in autumn

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 09:50:18 »
I once had gooseberries on the East side of the house, they only rec'd morning sun and fruited well.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

matt987106

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:04:46 »
my fruit cage will be put where it only has afternoon sun

they still get daylight, so it cannot be all that bad

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal