Author Topic: More apple trees...  (Read 2893 times)

Spudbash

• Acre
Re: More apple trees...
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 12:25:09 »
That's nature!  ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 17:14:55 »
Jenny...you cruel woman...how did you have heart after all that to turn your trees into firewood ::)..oh well...probably wise move too...you never know..

;D ;D
Cruel to be kind !

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 21:41:46 »
Laxtons Fortune is delicious. Charles Ross a great dual purpose and, from modern varieties, i urge you to ignore the twee name and give Scrumptious a try - a fantastic apple! You might look for varieties local to your region also.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 21:51:32 »
Scumptious is nice..I agree..but "next door" have one of those in his lottie so I do not need it as such...swapping.. ;)
I have come across Nottingham Pipping..as one the local varieties..but haven't had chance to "try before you buy"....and other local...Bramley...I have huge old one already... ;)

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 20:16:17 »
I picked up a cox's orange and a green delicious I think it was from Instore newbury a week or so ago, I put them in the garden near the hedge and now they have all but died, they got watered when planted and manured, now, I am just angry I killed my trees....

Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 01:00:40 »
I picked up a cox's orange and a green delicious I think it was from Instore newbury a week or so ago, I put them in the garden near the hedge and now they have all but died, they got watered when planted and manured, now, I am just angry I killed my trees....

The current thinking is that fertiliser is extremely counter-productive when planting a bare-rooted tree...(and not great when you are planting a containerised one either) - at best you are encouraging the roots to stay at home by feeding them locally when you really want them foraging far and wide...

At worst too much fertiliser can burn roots especially the young growing ones - the fertiliser stops the roots getting water from the soil by setting up concentrated solutions in opposition to the osmosis you want.

The best thing to do is work and improve the soil as friable as possible so it snuggles around the roots, (but don't leave it too fine or it can waterlog), water well, and then put a metre square of black plastic around the base of the tree to stop the water evaporating. You can then water around this because trees expect to find 90% of their water at or around the drip line anyway.

If the land is badly drained (or for exotics like olives and guavas etc.) it's a very good idea to mound the soil for extra drainage but still put the plastic over the mound so you get the best of both worlds.

It works really well - I've never tried the un-recommended method but it sounds like you have!

Your problem is actually an opportunity - no gardening expert will ever recommend Cox (it suffers from disease problems unless sprayed within an inch of its life) and nobody with a sense of taste would ever recommend any of the (so called) "delicious" tribe.

Cheap apple trees are a waste of money if you aren't certain they will give you the result you need.

The maintenance costs (mostly time & effort) will make up 99% of the cost of the tree.

Owners of Siamese cats will tell you the price of the kitten is irrelevant when the mangiest moggy will eat several thousand quid's worth of cat food.

Get yourself an Ashmeads Kernel (RHS award of garden merit) or Claygate Pearmain instead of a Cox, and almost anything instead of a "delicious". I'd recommend Sturmer Pippin as an improved Granny Smith.

You need to choose apples like these that flower together or in adjacent groups (there's always an overlap) for pollination,

(www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_september_2b2_apple.asp)

but you could go for any other of the apples given first-hand recommendations in the recent threads.

Or go to an 'apple day' in October when you can try before you buy...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 06:57:54 »
I have to agree with that Vinlander....I inherited some sort of 'delicious'-apple..although it did flowered and bared fruit too, it never produced worth while fruit..and the tree needed constant attention..there was something wrong with it every year...so after 5 years...looking after it and getting it into great shape being left for some years into neglect..we finally put chainsaw trough it..no more..
I do not want to put all that efford without some return..and chemical sprays are no-no in my lottie.. ::)   
I have bought few cheap trees in past and so far ok..but you do not know about the rootstock and often they do need right sort of  pruning as they do tend to be just chopped in "will do" manner. But then again..price will reflect that..you get what you pay...Although you pay double for proper nursery grown bare rooted tree, but you know what you are getting..and they establish much better...and generally you end up with much more productive and healthier tree..money well spent.. ;D
Yesterday  I had yet another stroll around lottie looking and re-checking how many new ones I can buy in coming winter..and result wasn't any different from the last count ::) ;D....checking..just in case there were mistake ... ::)....result= 5 more + 3 others to plant that I've already have for next winter... ::) ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 18:06:26 »
I inherited a golden delicious and cut it down. I now have apples not flannel.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 15:22:52 »
Oh joy..! ;D  Deacon's Nursery cataloque dropped through letterbox today...
with offer "place order before end of June 2010 and get 15% off.." ;D ;D ;D
That will do me.. ;)
So I ended up with; Ashmead's Kernel, Pittmaston Pineapple, May Queen, George Carpenter and Lady's finger of Offaly... ;D
Now I just have to wait untill November... ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal