Author Topic: mulching  (Read 1070 times)

anemone

• Half Acre
mulching
« on: April 21, 2010, 17:56:12 »
I've inherited some fruit bushes - gooseberries, blackcurrant and whitecurrant. They are growing fine but surrounded by grass & weeds. I've strimmed the grass right down but noticed on well tended plots the bushes have tidy circles of bark around them. Do I need to try to dig out the grass in a circle and then add compost (or something else?) and bark?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: mulching
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 21:51:21 »
I've inherited some fruit bushes - gooseberries, blackcurrant and whitecurrant. They are growing fine but surrounded by grass & weeds. I've strimmed the grass right down but noticed on well tended plots the bushes have tidy circles of bark around them. Do I need to try to dig out the grass in a circle and then add compost (or something else?) and bark?

you could just cover the grass with a light-excluding mulch. this would kill the grass and weeds, and return their nutrient to the plant.
You couldn't make it up!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 22:00:03 »
I use flattened cardboard boxes around the base of fruit to keep the weeds down, wet it well and cover with something like mushroom compost, manure or your own compost which will break down slowly and feed the tree too. Simples! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 22:31:10 »
Thank you ! that sounds much easier :)

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 23:25:09 »
I agree with that. Don't dig it out. The fruit bushes have quite shallow roots which you would damage. I would strim down the grass and weeds before putting on the mulch.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal