Author Topic: Verbena Bonari.....  (Read 2919 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Verbena Bonari.....
« on: November 19, 2004, 09:43:27 »
Should I cut back my verbena bonari-can'tspellit now or wait until spring? Is there any way to improve it's chances of getting through the winter, other than digging it up and putting it somewhere warm (I really don't want to have to do that as it's got well established).

This is my first year with one, so I'm not too sure if it's hardy in my area (greater London).
gone to pot :D

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re:Verbena Bonari.....
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 10:59:41 »
I leave mine in the ground all winter without a problem, that is in West Sussex in a bit of a frost pocket.

I have not cut back yet as the seed heads look quite nice frosted. I will probably tidy them up some time in Jan/Feb

You will find that they self seed very well as well and will pop up all over the place next spring.
jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 11:01:39 »
THanks Jerry - I like your reply - it means I have to do nothing! (Lazy winter gardener that I am!)
gone to pot :D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 11:04:43 »
I treat mine the same as penstemons. Leave the old growth on until spring to protect it over winter then cut back when new growth appears.

Jak

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 14:11:37 »
I leave mine until spring unless they get blown down.  Like Jerry I find that they self-seed all over the place and they are beginning to take over my front garden - growing in between the paving slabs to such an extent that I will have to do some serious weeding! :'(  I'm in East Sussex.

Jak  :)
When the tide of life turns against you, and the current upsets your boat.  Don't waste time on what might have been, just lie on your back and float.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 14:16:55 »
mine are in the ground all the time, i just leave the tops on unless they're looking scraggy or have a snapped stem.
the first year i had them i was a bit worried they hadn't made it, but find they start into growth quite late compared to my other plants, and they do have the ability to suddenly appear from underneath things.
if you do lose them, they're really easy to grow from seed, and, from seed, in 1 season mine will flower and grow to their normal height.
i'm in leicestershire.
down south (!) don't think you would have any problems getting them through winter.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 14:17:48 by Kerry »

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 19:05:43 »
Glad that you asked that Aqui.  I was wondering what to do with mine.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 19:08:48 »
I'd say they'll be fine, certainly don't bother disturbing them. I grew mine from seed a couple of years ago, and they've got strong, self seeded (those I'll take when I have to move) . Mine still have flowerheads, and I don't cut them back at all until those shoots have completely died back, by which time you'll find lots of new growth at the base.
And aren't they fantastic for attracting butterflies?!
Enjoy. CLx

Jak

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 14:46:29 »
Last year mine were frequently visited by hummingbird hawk moths. :)  They were amazing - just like little hummingbirds! :o  Didn't see any this year though - I guess it just wasn't warm enough! :(

Jak
When the tide of life turns against you, and the current upsets your boat.  Don't waste time on what might have been, just lie on your back and float.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal