Author Topic: Sweetcorn choice  (Read 9083 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Sweetcorn choice
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 20:19:55 »
Should be sown no more than three weeks before they can be transplanted so sow when the weather is almost right for planting out.Ideally there should be no wait, when they are big enough to go out,they should be planted ,it is the waiting that makes them sulk,when you have to go ,you have to go or else!!.This is about three weeks from seeding, if in a cooler situation you might get an extra week but not any more. remember though when you plant them out and they have been in their pots a bit too long and they sulk, they will come out of it and start to grow again.The three week rule is to get them growing without any interuption which they prefer,ideally corn are better if sown directly into the ground but not in the UK so transplants get you going about three weeks earlier . Basically you are fooling the seeds, they think they are in the ground if they are only in the pots a little while. I think when the roots feel the pots they know they have been conned !!

Don't plant them out if it is too cold though..better to let them sulk.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 20:42:51 »
So is that three weeks from sowing or germinating.  ??? :-\     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 20:54:42 »
I find they germinate quickly in a heated gater only a couple of days, but longer if in unheated,  count it from germinating.

If the kernels are shrunken they are supersweets and need more heat to germinate.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 21:00:54 »
Cheers hun, I'm off to watch me tommies.      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 21:14:47 »
jeannine,
your post made me giggle,images of poor little "conned" sweetcorn.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 08:44:51 »
Yep, you gotta watch that corn, it aint so sweet when it sulks!! XX Jeannine

hyacinth_1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 21:11:06 »
Hi all, I put six sweetcorn into my Lottie about 3 weeks ago, I waited to see if they died or if the birds pinched them, anyway they took and seem to be doing well.  So on Friday last I put another 8 in beside them.  Have I put too many in as they are all hybrid and the same ones. (I grew from seed in the greenhouse)  I am new at this - they are the little corns that you put into stirfries.
Thanks in anticipation -Jude

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 22:58:42 »
How far apart have you planted them and are they in a row, or block.  they can sit there for a while looking OK but they won't start to grow till it gets warm and a frost would cream them.How tall are they now.

If I have it right you have planted 14, that's not many.

XX Jeannine

hyacinth_1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 15:50:26 »
I have them planted about 12 inches apart from each other they are in a row of 4 plants like a square.  I am also in the north east of the region, but the weather in the garden has been good. Touch wood, Jude - They are about 7 inches tall.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 07:33:32 »
That will be fine for mini corn as you don't want it to pollinate XX Jeannine

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 08:11:58 »
When I plant mine out, I put old mineral water bottles (cadged from colleagues at work...I like to think I'm too hippy to actually buy mineral water) over each seedling to keep them warm and protect them from pesky slugs. Learnt that from Deb P.
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

hyacinth_1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 19:59:37 »
 Would you believe it Jeanine after touching wood etc.,  I went today and it has not been cold  of late - the ruddy sweetcorns 3 of them (the first ones I put in) are wilting and going brown on the leaves.  Any ideas what has gone wrong, am I watering them to much - most days I do but not a lot. You must have sore wrists and fingers after all of us on here have been trying to pick your brains. Jude ::)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 20:13:20 »
They could be just cold, if the soil is heavy and damp they would sulk, you did put them out too early but they may stay like that a bit then pick up, all might not be lost. Do you have any gardening fleece you can wrap them in or make a cloche for each one with a platic bottle.. The ground has to have sun on it for a long time before it warms up, just a sunny day doesn't do it.

Try putting plastic around them on the ground, leave them sticking up but the plastic will raise the temp of the soil they are in.

PLants some more seeds now as a back up.

XX Jeannine

hyacinth_1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 21:09:07 »
Jeanine went today and built up the ones that are still alive with good compost then I found a big box with holes :-* in it (like a what they put the bread on) anyway it is cold tonight.  I have taking your kidding and planted some more in the greenhouse incase the rest die.  Thanks very much for all the trouble you have taking your a goodun.  Jude

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 23:47:54 »
I wasn't kidding!! You  do stand a good chance of losing the others is it gets cold and I didn't want you to be cornless, the second lot will be fine and if the first ones don't die you will have lots. Good luck XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal