Author Topic: Tin bath ,pots and  (Read 4296 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Tin bath ,pots and
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 09:48:24 »
My previous house came with a backyard so small you could barely swing a medium-sized rodent, let alone a cat.   At first I didn't think I could successfully grow stuff.   Twelve months later my backyard contained a wide variety of pots acquired from car-booting, skips and recycling/salvage yards plus a mini-growhouse.   The growhouse held a growbag just large enough for 1 x tomato plant, 1 x cucumber plant & 1 x capsicum plant.   

In the pots I successfully grew dwarf french beans, runner beans (a great example of vertical gardening), carrots, leeks, spring onions, mini beetroot, lettuce, strawberries and peas.   Several pots held two crops whilst others held a crop plus a flower.

In a four foot square space I fitted twenty potato growbags, each holding one tuber.   Although the potatoes didn't grow very big, they were well tasty.

I found a very useful book on cottage gardening and seeing what the gardeners of a 100+ years ago fitted into a small space is amazing.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 16:35:15 »
When I was thinking about giving up my allotment I asked for a book for Christmas- "Crops in pots" by Bob Purnell. It's got lots of good ideas- and nice pictures!

shonam

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 18:41:02 »
I've just spent the last hour or so carving holes in some blue plastic Trofast tubs from Ikea to make planters for my new cheapo strawberries from Lidl. We're also gardening in a small space so trying to be creative with how we use it as well as keeping costs down. :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 18:53:57 »
I think there was a link on here last year to a garden in America (I think) & they had guttering on walls etc with all sorts growing in them.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 20:40:28 »
I think there was a link on here last year to a garden in America (I think) & they had guttering on walls etc with all sorts growing in them.

Think this is the one you are referring to
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/gardening/gutter-garden-growing-your-food-in-a-small-spacejuneau-empire-083350
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 21:55:16 »
Wow that is inspirational  :)or do I mean inspiring ??? LOL

It has been so interesting to hear people's ideas and experiences.

Can't wait to plant my toms out also have some for the hanging baskets. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal