Author Topic: The Eden project  (Read 4449 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Re:The Eden project
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2004, 15:04:18 »
Schools teach kids about other religions in their senior schools. We are a chritian country and I can't see any harm teaching that.If other religions don't like it well tough. We're not asking anything from them. Children can be told this is what this country does but in our religion we don't , kids aren't stupid but it seems a lot of adults are.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 10:53:08 »
I don't think it is a bad idea to learn about other peoples religions and holidays at all.

I used to enjoy learning about such things and it sounds like your childrens school is very broad minded and well rounded EJ.

I just think it sad that in this day and age that religion and religious holidays are excluded completely especially the religion of that particular country. How are we supposed to have a tolerance and understanding of other religions if we are not taught about them. I think it is very sad when the basic message of a lot of holidays regardless of the religion is about love and peace.

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 11:45:55 »
I'm definitely with Pixie on this subject - the more kids grow up accepting that other people have different traditions/views the better.

To say "we are a Christian country" is basically true but I think it is surprising how little children learn about the Christian faith at home - how many parents attend church or send their children to Sunday School - so is it right to expect the schools to do that job?  Many people do after all complain about the Nanny State.

Another aspect is that even among Britain's "Christians" there is widespread intolerance with the bigotry between some Protestants and Catholics in N.I. and, to a pretty large extent, Central Scotland  being a prime example - this is largely caused by separate religious schooling which in my view should not be funded by the the State.

Off my soapbox now  ::) and by the way I am pretty well non religious - believing that all organised religion has caused a great deal of trouble in the world.

Don't mean to offend anyone  :-*
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 12:33:43 »
schools should teach it, its education, so why teach them about other religions,doesn't ours count then?..We get so PC in this country we even get so our own traditions and ways are frowned upon in case it upsets anyone. So long as its all children and not just ours, but sadly its British children that miss out...As for the catholic protestant thing, thats just an excuse for a punch up...or a fight. Nothing whatever to do with religion just using its name...Aren't they both chritians then?, certainly both myself and OH think so and we're from waring sides lol.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2004, 17:04:34 »
What does PC mean?

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2004, 17:12:21 »
Political correctitude: avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2004, 17:36:58 »
Thank you Jill. I didn't think Protestant Christian fitted hehehe.

"So long as its all children and not just ours, but sadly its British children that miss out..."??????? Did you mean to say Christian children where you wrote British?

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2004, 18:01:21 »
Nor Personal Computer or Police Constable in that particular context, Ina ;D ;D ;D

Over to Val for response to 2nd part...

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2004, 18:33:19 »
 ;DNo I meant British children in British schools...obviously foreign children would be in foreign schools....As they teach about all religions, except ours...meaning christian...they are missing out.My 2 youngest haven't learnt a thing about the christian religion at school, but have about other cultures...so if I hadn't taught them how would they know, bearing in mind most people these days don't bother with it.so the British culture, religion, way of beliefs, however or whatever you call it, will soon be gone.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2004, 18:46:34 »
I see. Thank you for your explanation.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2004, 16:03:49 »
Happy to say that the kids are being taught all about the Christian religion.  I do feel they need to have a rounded knowledge of different religions and festivals, after all, these days the world is a small place and we get to travel around lots of it, and by the time my little 'uns are big and brave, they will be able to travel even further (bank manager permitting) so they need to be aware of how Hindu's, muslims, jews, catholics, etc, all live.  We are not encouraging them to become strongly religious, as we both come from very non-religious backgrounds, but we want them to learn all about it, so as they grow and learn they can make up their own minds what they want to believe.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2004, 16:04:46 »
p.s. to Ina........hehehehe.....I used to think 'lol' was 'lots of love' not 'laugh out loud'!  Used to think my girlfriend was being reallllllllly friendly!  ;D

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2004, 16:18:08 »
Eden Project is a goal of mine for next year.. gonna kick that ball right into the back of the net... is gonna be a blast  have found this link.... with load of photoes,,, is well brill

http://www.eden-project.co.uk/latest_happenings13.htm

ciaran

:-* :-* :-*

ciaran

xxxxxx
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 11:19:52 by Ozzy »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal