Author Topic: Why are garden centres selling delicates already.  (Read 7002 times)

amphibian

Re: Why are garden centres selling delicates already.
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 19:45:30 »
courgettes love die anyway so no need to blaome shops.
As for tomatoes done correctly you could have planted them out at least 2 months now. and they would have survived like mine.

At least 2 months! Wow!

2 months ago, the temperature here was -8°C. Where do you live? Must be a lot warmer than here, is the 'correct' way to live somewhere warm?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 19:56:29 »
Ok..so please tell us, I am sure many folks would be keen to learn..how do you do it..pictures would be good too.Pleaseb share.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 20:08:07 »
I thought all plains were grounded.    :-X        ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 20:25:48 »
Stop it!!

I would genuinely like to learn from plainleaf his skills re early sowing, I think there are many folks who would benefit from it, he seems to indicate that geography doesn't matter, it is the method he uses. although knowing his zone would help too. So I look forward to hearing from him. Also I would like to know which type of toms he has planted out early.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

amphibian

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 20:36:51 »
Stop it!!

I would genuinely like to learn from plainleaf his skills re early sowing, I think there are many folks who would benefit from it, he seems to indicate that geography doesn't matter, it is the method he uses. although knowing his zone would help too. So I look forward to hearing from him. Also I would like to know which type of toms he has planted out early.

XX Jeannine

Also I presume after over two months he has fruit already. fantastic method, I'd love to hear all about it and see pictures of how it is achieved. It sounds like something to really aspire to.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 20:38:50 »
I've started my tommies too early, so I too would like some info to help me become a better tommie grower.   :-\      ;D ;D ;D

staris

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 20:45:50 »
courgettes love die anyway so no need to blaome shops.
As for tomatoes done correctly you could have planted them out at least 2 months now. and they would have survived like mine.

haha absolute nonesense  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 20:49:10 »
Yes, I often do that, you just get that got to sow itch, but plainloeaf seems to have it right. XX Jeannine

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 20:51:10 »
Spill the beans me old mate.  ;D ;D ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 20:57:57 »
I wonder if he is talking about the method how victorians use to grow stuff out of season...hot bed and cover over......

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 21:02:35 »
hmm..I can feel some ideas coming to my head.. ::)deep hot bed..bale square around it, two bales high and old window on top..Perfect.... ;D...and toms will "steam away"...

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 22:20:05 »

...  he seems to indicate that geography doesn't matter, it is the method he uses. although knowing his zone would help too.

I didn't read his original post, (I have all the alias' on ignore), but I think his 'zone' is the Twilight, where a many curious things are possible.   ::)

Only time will tell.

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 00:39:25 »
the method is not a mystery.  all need one warm day for plant out and temps to stay over -12 c till spring or you will need soil heating cables.
the method basically uses two stacked walls of water around welded wire fence tomato cage supported by two wooden posts. it also required a simple top over the walls of water.
  first fruit  can be had usually by may 1-15 but that is not the only reason for method.  The method was developed by Gordon graham of Edmond OK USA.
In 1985 he used it to grow huge plant that was 15.85 meters long with good production
in 1986 he grew 16.5 meter long plant that also produced a 3.53 kg tomato.

the varieties i planted out early were delicious, san marzano, big zac and phils  fantastic.  my plant out date was feb 10
hope that helps Jeannine
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 00:44:06 by plainleaf2 »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 00:44:26 »
Plainleaf, thank you but I am not sure I understand. I know about walls-of-water the cloche things that you fill but this sounds much bigger. Do you have a picture please. How much area does it take up.What size tomato cage, and please bear in mind that folks in the UK cannot buy  tall wire cone type tomato cages like in the US, they are not made. Thank you XX Jeannine

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 00:51:33 »
Jeannine if want i will take  step by step pictures if how it is done this weekend and post it for all to see if you would like.

Jeannine do they sell wielded wire   fences in uk?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 00:59:07 by plainleaf2 »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 00:58:34 »
That would be great if you could do that, I for one would look forward to the pictures. Yes they do get welded wire fencing, I used to use one that was a six inch square, but very hard to bend, I used to make a wide circle with it. I have read a bit about Gordon Graham but it was his prize winning tomato I heard about not gardening in cool conditions. XX Jeannine

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 05:02:15 »
Of course with a great deal of effort you can keep courgettes etc alive at this time of year.   But the garden centres need to tell people just how much commitment is needed.  I have managed in the past to keep them alive through a -4 night with no greenhouse, but they were well wrapped up in plastic and layers of old clothes and give hot water bottles during the night.

If they were committed gardeners they would not buy courgette plants they are so easy to raise from seed.  They expect the garden centres to do the thinking for them, want the plants to be planted out and then thrive.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 13:58:01 »
Even if you went to all that trouble, or planted them on cloches on top of a hotbed, which is at least tried and tested for other crops, I wonder whether toms would fruit that early with our sorter days early in the year. What would they do in a heated greenhouse?

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 16:04:48 »
Robert it does take a bit  more then the method to get fruit that early, variety is also key.
Also in USA we sort our days into weeks and months how do you sort them in UK.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 16:18:59 »
Weeks and months of course! I do know that variety makes a difference, I'm wondering whether any variety will flower in the short days of spring.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal