Author Topic: Repot Lemon Tree  (Read 2737 times)

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Repot Lemon Tree
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:45:53 »
4 ft lemon tree needs repotting, and I don't want to buy special compost. I was going to use Ericaceous John Innes mixed with normal compost. Is this OK? ie lemons like acid soil, but not too acid?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Repot Lemon Tree
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:55:21 »
I use mix of ericaceous compost, sterilized topsoil, extra grit + bit of fish,blood and bone...
Yes, you are right..soil on acid side, but ericaceous is bit too much..

Ready made citrus composts are too light for my liking..when you see citrus growing in ground abroad..it is never fluffy stuff and the ground is often baked hard..
After I switched off from commercial stuff and made my own more loamy stuff my lemons have done really well..
..and they get well diluted wee too 8) ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:02:02 »
bit of fish,blood and bone...

I am really interested in this becuase I thought it would be too alkaline.  Lemon fertilizers are sooooo expensive.  Mind you the wee should be acid.  Mine likes coffee too.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:10:30 »
..or you can use hoof and horn..I have never had any problems with it...I always treat fish, blood and bone as "neutral", it is the soil/compost and what you do in long term that really does have the most effect..
I have used multipurpose mix with ericaceous (did not have enough for the job) and it did not have effect for the plants...little bit of lime does not hurt...
As long as the growing medium as whole is in acid side...!!!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:16:27 »
..I just had a look in my citrus book...
"work organic fertilizer(quano, horn etc.)into compost at the beginning of growth phase..."
"treat plants that are unwilling to flower with pure phosphorous fertilizer (bonemeal), twice at intervals of three weeks...)
Yep...it is OK.. ;D

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 10:21:03 »
thanks for that goodlife and Digeroo. I'll use a mix of ericaceous and topsoil. Don't have any BF&B but I do have some proper citrus feed, though it is rather old

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 10:39:32 »
I suppose tough I haven't looked, that there will be lots of scale bugs on it. I usually use a cotton bud dipped in meths, but it's very time consuming, and I always miss loads. Is there a spray I wonder?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 11:43:37 »
treat plants that are unwilling to flower

Much to my great surprise mine produced 5 flowers and now has five little lemonlets.    I just have to hope that they decided to swell.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 12:36:54 »
If your lemonlets do decide to swell and they all grow in cluster it is a good idea to thin them out...otherwise you will end up 5 little ones with hardly any flesh in them...

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 12:57:46 »
I have 3 full size lemons that are green. There were more

Sexki11en

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 20:34:53 »
My hubby bought me a lemon tree for a wedding present last August (i've always wanted one)  It had 2 little green lemons on it and they are still the same size now.  Any ideas why? 

It had a lot of leaf drop over the winter, but I think i've established that this was because it wasn't getting enough light.  Moved it and fed it and now it has huge green leaves, but the 2 lemons are still the same size  ???

It's flowering now and I think 2 more fruit are setting but how do I get them to ripen?

SK x

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 09:30:05 »
lemons take ages to grow and ripen. At least you got them through the winter without them dropping off

If you can put it outside in a shady spot during the day that should help stop you getting leaves growing too big. They do that if you keep them in low light when they start actively growing

Sexki11en

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 09:30:34 »
Ahhhh, thank you. 

It's been in the living room over the winter, but I was going to put it into the conservatory later today, lots of light and it's quite warm in there at the moment.  It was about 8 degrees over night so I figured that wouldn't be too cold? 

Am also feeding it now once a month

Thanks for the advice.

SK x

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 09:33:23 »
it's the only thing wrong with citrus plants (apart from the bugs) - they start growing  strongly before it's safe to put them outside

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal