Author Topic: Bee problem...advice needed  (Read 1654 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
Bee problem...advice needed
« on: April 15, 2010, 14:40:31 »
I'm hoping there will be some bee experts around to help me...

Yesterday i kept hearing a single buzzing noice on and off, coming from a old vent in our floorboard/carpet (the vent was used when we had a back boiler). We blocked the vent with card board when we had our new combi boiler 2 years ago as we were told this was ok to do. I also saw a hugh bee (like a big bumble bee) coming in and out of an air brick not far from the vent.

Today i saw the bee again (there only seems to be one bee) coming and going. After it came out i blocked the air brick so it couldn't get back in and it's been trying to get back in for a while.

I'm not sure if i've done the right thing. I was hoping it would go and make another nest elsewhere...but will i be too late and will it have already laid eggs that will hatch under our floorboards?

I will be grateful for any advice.

This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Bee problem...advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 16:40:12 »
Oh don't worry!! Bumbles don't make big nests (only dozen bees or so..)and as it is so early and still cold it might have only just started..it might not come back anymore and what ever it has started it is not going to trouble you.
If it does come back it is going to use your airbrick for coming and going and not coming indoors..and any possible new ones will use the same path..
By end of summer the nest has done it's job and they will be gone often never seen in same place anymore..so it is not permanent thing..
..mind though..bumbles often make they nest in old mice nest...?!..

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 18:46:50 »
It's a queen bumble which has started a nest that you've shut it out of. It won't do any harm at all, and the nest will disappear at the end of the season.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:21:20 »
Thanks for the advice, i'll just leave it alone
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal