Author Topic: Blueberries  (Read 1200 times)

Rosymacposie

• Not So New ...
Blueberries
« on: April 15, 2010, 18:13:37 »
Just bought 2 little blueberry plants (thank you Mr Tesco) and wondered where is best to plant them.  I believe they do well in pots but will they thrive better planted in the ground?   I know that they need acid soil (not a problem here).

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 23:21:08 »
Not sure where you are in the country, but putting blueberries in the ground has been a success for me in Essex, even though I've had to obtain ericaceous compost to start them off.
Think I've had my bushes growing 4 or 5 years now, and get good crops. You've got acid soil so that's not a problem. But, blueberries don't like to dry out, and there's a real danger that could happen when they're grown in a pot.
Don't know about the quality or size of the Tesco plants, but hopefully you should get fruit in 2 -3 years.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 16:51:10 »
Is your tap water hard?  If so try to give them rain water.

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 17:05:39 »
Blueberries, Blackberries, Gooseberries in Poundland atm.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 19:30:30 »
I've heard that even on acidic soil it is beneficial to line the hole with a good layer of ericacious compost before planting.  My blueberry bush was c.1ft high when I got it last year and it has doubled in size with what looks to be at leat triple the crop of last year! And it's in a pot.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 19:55:46 »
ours are in bottomless pots buried in the ground, the pots were filled with ericaceous compost and the ground is plenty damp enough for them  ;D

amphibian

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 23:38:34 »
My soil is entirely unsuitable, mine are all grown in containers and watered with rainwater only.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 20:28:00 »
water like a maniac, they are tough plants but grow practically in bogs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal