Author Topic: Sqaush germination  (Read 2641 times)

Philbasford

• Acre
Re: Sqaush germination
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 08:18:54 »
They have appeared like the proverbial bus this morning ;D

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 17:42:19 »

They seem fine, I've put em under a closh just incase.

Gonna try and do a three sister thing with Butternut Squash, Painted Mountain Corn and French Beans - Blue Lake (Dig In)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 19:25:45 »
I grow 30+ varieties of squash in North Devon, with the weather pattern we have had this year I have not sown a single seed yet. End of next week will be soon enough. I shall be having baked squash with my lunch tomorrow, one of many stored from last autumn.
I will be setting 300 of my normal seed plus a few new ones. There was a frost down here yesterday morning, it was still on the ground at 7am.

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 19:32:38 »
I soak mine overnight and then sow in a heated propagator - up within a week. only thing you need to look out for is that you take the lid off once the seedling comes up so it has room!

I also sow mine on their sides to stop rotting, although I've heard recently that's just a myth. I now do it as a comfort blanket more than anything else!
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 19:42:11 »
Sowed my last Tues, in jiffy pots and then put in a propagator on the heat mat set about 26 degrees. All are up today.

I am doing:
Pumpkin - Big Max
Courgette - Black Beauty, and some other variety?
Winter Squash - thinks it a Hunter?
Summer Squash - Patty Pan.

I have decided that I am growing to try and grow them in very large pots this year. Last year I grew them in my small raised beds and they just sprawled all over the place and took up too much room.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 20:20:00 »
sown last Tuesday, put in heated propagator, 100 % germination. (11 from Mr Fothergills, 12 from 'Wilko's Butternut) both stated 10 seeds on Packet, btw.[attachment=1]
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal