Author Topic: When to plant?  (Read 1545 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
When to plant?
« on: April 17, 2010, 18:25:46 »
I am going on away mid May for a week. When would be the best time to sow runner beans, courgettes, squash, cucumbers, just before or when I get back. OH will be here to water & I do have a sort of staging thing that I could leave in the carport which is a cool area.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: When to plant?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 18:37:14 »
Im off for a week from 8th of May and it is causing me eactly the same headaches...
Im going early in the hope that they will be able to to go out on the plot early May BUT I am going to hedge my bets and sow some more later on - probs when I get back.

Im never going away in May again!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 18:55:54 »
When you get back is favourite in my book!

At least you will know they are in a frost free place.........and as we all know there is still time for a bit of frost towards the back end of May.

e.g. I have lost runner beans on the 31st of May and a bed of Dahlias to a hail storm on the 2nd of June!

So thats my opinion for what it is worth!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 19:19:27 »
If you got time to sow..say day to two before you go..then they would be only just germinating when you come back..
just don't leave them in sun so they don't dry out too quickly..and all the work will wait you to come back ;D ;)

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 21:57:12 »
well I also would sow them before you go - I have sown my courgettes and squash already2 days ago. They won't germinate for a week or so and they can sit in pots in the greenhouse till they are ready to go out - around May 16th for me but I keep fleece handy. How long are you going away for?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 22:17:28 »
I'm away from 13th-20th. We're in Cheshire so could suffer late frosts. I don't normally do "holidays" but this is a special trip. My dearest friend moved to Portugal 18th months ago & I have been invited to stay with her. I can't wait ;D.

javahart

• Quarter Acre
    • My veg blog
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 23:12:12 »
I am going on away mid May for a week. When would be the best time to sow runner beans, courgettes, squash, cucumbers, just before or when I get back. OH will be here to water & I do have a sort of staging thing that I could leave in the carport which is a cool area.

I'm cheshire too!  Are you anywhere near Bowdon?
I can't offer any advice on sowing but already have my squash and courgettes in pots & going through the hardening off stage.  I'll be cloching them to avoid late frost issues!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 11:10:39 »
I'm away the end of May and already kicking myself for agreeing to it!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 11:32:12 »
I went for a week last year on 7th May planted some  things before I went.  OH did a great job watering, which is unusual since he normally over does it and they drown.

Then I sowed some beans on the day I went.  One lot did fine but another got a little too dry so this time I shall put in another layer of damp kitchen roll and make sure the plastic cover is on properly.   They were ready for potting when I arrived home. 

I bought some courgette and bean seeds while away and they were germinating in my rucksack, and went out as soon as I got home.  Was rather expecting customs to confiscate them.  Then I sowed lots when I got back.  The later ones seemed to grow steam full ahead, if anything they did the best.  Only lost one small batch of sweet corn.  I sometimes think I am too impatient and waiting until mid May is a good idea.

I am due to go on 6th May this year, but maybe I will not be flying anywhere. 

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 14:04:10 »
javahart I'm just down the road from you. I left a reply on gallery I think when you posted your lovely photos. of your plot.
This is all very interesting, perhaps I can trust OH to care for them if they get sown before I go but he is far better with wood, hammer & nails ;D.
Something else has entered into the debate as daughter no 2 is having surgery on 24th May & will need some support-----------------

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 20:25:52 »
sow half now and half when you get back. You can claim it is successional sowing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal