Author Topic: Bantam with a cough  (Read 2131 times)

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
Bantam with a cough
« on: April 16, 2010, 23:47:39 »
Hi can anyone give me any advice -have noticed one of my bantams has a bit of a cough-most noticeable when let out in the morning but not constant and she does seem to be staying inside the coop a bit more than usual.Is this something that will just go away like a human cold or should I be doing something else? None of the other three seem to be suffering at all?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Bantam with a cough
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 07:08:28 »
Oh yes..they do have their sniffles as we do..not everything is deadly..but..
now you have to keep eye on her..she musnt loose her appertite..no runny nose...no loosing eggs...
It would not hurt if you got some poultry drink or other soluble vitamins to add into water...or pop clove of garlic into drinker for a week or so  to give a boost against "bugs" for all of  the girls..keep the clove in and just change the water as you do in you normal rutine.. ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 07:25:21 »
Apple cider vinegar is recommended in the books I have read about chickens as well as garlic. I put 10mls per litres of water & they love it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:44:11 »
The cider vinergar is for "healthy gut" and general well being..to enhance right acid balance for growth of the healty bacteria..or something along those lines.. ::)
While you girl is sniffiling I would used garlic first as it does have mild medicinal properties against bacteria...ohh..my brain this morning..cannot find right words,,,oh,,anti..something like antibiotics..
and as she start feeling better..then cider vinegar is good..keeping the pecker up..and you can give that regurlarly..but it is good every now and then to give a period just plain water..
all good things in moderation..
.but if you start seing discharce or change in appertite and/or droppings....off to vet..

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:49:18 »
Thank you all for your advice -much appreciated.I've put some cider vinegar inthe water this morning and will sort out some garlic now!

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 21:46:02 »
Chickens catch colds from wild birds and best way of helping them is to add 'Citradel' to their drinking water.You can buy it from most health shops for around £3 and you only need a few drops in a couple of pints of water so lasts years.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 22:36:57 »
Thanks Steven-she seems to have recovered now but will add some citradel to my supplies-is it something that should be added to the water all the time or only if they seem to have a cough/cold?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal