Author Topic: eviction and unlawful rent increase  (Read 12764 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: eviction and unlawful rent increase
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 20:01:15 »
Just watched the video and read the links.
Firstly Fab shed unwashed my OH was drooling ,he's got a thing about sheds.
secondly so sorry about your problem :(I've no idea what the solution is but you're right not to take it lying down >:(
Thirdly it's made us nervous ,our rents are reasonable ,we are self managed but nothing stays the same and I bet there are many A4 lottie holders shakin' a bit in case their councils follow suit  :(
GOOD LUCK !! :)
sanity is overated

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 12:31:47 »
'Just been down to our site and spoke to a couple of people who said you should ALWAYS be given 12mths notice of increases.Our recent bill gave notice of increases next year.
sanity is overated

vegwise

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 16:24:07 »
Unwashed = 'man of straw'   
Vegwise

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 16:24:19 »
OB, arphamoe, thank you for your concern.  I know it's only the difference of £20 for me, but it's the principle.  It's my understanding that the Town Council can not lawfully demand the money, and rather than discuss it reasonably they're bullying us into paying up.  Paying under protest achieves nothing because it leaves the decision up to the Council and that's the whole point - Newbury Town Council can't just arbitrarily decide how to behave, they must behave lawfully but they chose not to.

Macmac, thanks for the compliments.  I'd be really interested to know why your buddies think they have a right to 12 months notice.  It'l likely their tenancy agreement doesn't have a rent-revision clause and so the tenancy is actually terminated and replaced with another at a higher rent, and it's that that requires 12 months notice under the acts.  But if there's another reason I'd love to hear it.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 17:57:36 »
I could be completely wrong here but I was under the understanding that if you pay the increase or sum requested under a contract or one that is presented to you, then you are deemed to have accepted the new terms regardless of their legality, thus they become legal and enforceable. If you get what I mean.

Dont pay the sods unwashed.
Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 18:59:06 »
Superspud, I've assumed that principle too.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 19:53:14 »
Stand on an anti-sleaze ticket, pick up a couple of local issues the council is ignoring, and you never know!

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 21:44:18 »
Not that I condone it, but a friend of mine once phoned an adversaries wife and asked her to give her husband a divorce as she must know how much they loved each other.................... and the time they spent together recentley meant so much.

Skin a cat and all that.....
Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 22:03:33 »
It's my understanding that the Town Council can not lawfully demand the money, and rather than discuss it reasonably they're bullying us into paying up.  Paying under protest achieves nothing because it leaves the decision up to the Council and that's the whole point - Newbury Town Council can't just arbitrarily decide how to behave, they must behave lawfully but they chose not to.

The problem is that witholding rent is so frequently considered to be grounds for a possession order to be issued regardless of any disputed points in the contract.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 22:48:24 »
The problem is that witholding rent is so frequently considered to be grounds for a possession order to be issued regardless of any disputed points in the contract.
For sure, withholding lawfully demanded rent is very likely to get you evicted.  But what if the rent is not lawfully demanded?  My tenancy agreement says:

The tenancy may also be determined by the Council or the Tenant by twelve months notice in writing in compliance with the Allotments Act 1922.

Now ignoring for a minute that the Allotments Act 1922 doesn't actually say anything about the the notice the tenant has to give, nor is a term that incorporates statute by reference fair under UTCCR 1999, this term means that I can not cancel the contract without 12 months notice, and if the term is inoperative then the common law fallback is 6 months.

To try and wriggle out of that difficulty the Council have written to every tenant telling them that they waive the notice requirement, but they can't unilaterally vary the terms of the contract, and if they could I am still not free to cancel the contract without loss because by the time I received my rent demand I had already bought seeds and sundries for the year, and I have crops in the ground and fixtures that I will not be able to take with me.

So now I rely on UTCCR 1999 S.5(1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

Specifically, Schedule 2.1 Terms which have the object or effect of (j) enabling the seller or supplier to alter the terms of the contract unilaterally without a valid reason which is specified in the contract;

and 2.2 (b) Paragraph 1(j) is also without hindrance to terms under which a seller or supplier reserves the right to alter unilaterally the conditions of a contract of indeterminate duration, provided that he is required to inform the consumer with reasonable notice and that the consumer is free to dissolve the contract.

So were I free to cancel the tenancy, that is, were I contracturally free to cancel without suffering any loss either under the contract or by its cancellation, and were the Council required by the contract to give me reasonable notice of the increase then the Council could lawfully impose whatever increase in rent they wanted to.  But I'm not, and they didn't, so they can't.

That's my contention.  That they were not entitled to increase the rent arbitrarily without notice, and such an increase is unlawful.

The principle that is important to me here is that the Council believe they can act however they choose.  It's not just about rent, it's their whole attitude to us as tenants.  I've ben pushed too far and I'm not inclined to be pushed any further.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal