Author Topic: Voting at an election  (Read 7697 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Re: Voting at an election
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2010, 18:28:01 »
I am really glad that I posted the link for everyone to checkout their political stance. The results have been very interesting.

The irony is that although I am still a British National and therefore entitled to vote I think it would be wrong as I do not live there and pay my taxes etc here in in France. 

As a resident here we are allowed to vote in the EU elections  ??? and the local mayoral elections.  Our mayor basically runs what goes on day-to-day.  We voted for the candidate we knew, the sitting mayor, it is great because we can choose the best person to run our commune.

Happy St. George's Day.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2010, 21:22:41 »
Hmmm... does it matter who you vote for, it's all the same team in different shirts.

I've never voted as I believe it would change nothing, except a different (or same) bunch of piggies at the trough in what must be the ultimate in non-jobs. Who do MP's really represent except for themselves?

Do you think that suffragettes and those who have died fighting for our right to vote would be satisfied by the current cash for questions, cash for honours, illegal wars, expenses scandals, rich/poor gap, chavs running riot.... etc etc etc.

Just my opinion of course!

Jon

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2010, 21:55:04 »
I started the thread  and feel responsible for where it goes. Whilst as you all have taken on board the sentiment of the ideal rather than the ideology that it was not to promote any political party and indeed I am proud of most of you for the intelligent responses.

I am getting into a bit of an argument with OH here. We both recall a general election years ago where the liberals were miles ahead in the polls but seem to come second in most seats so ended up in third place. Obviously one of the others Lab Con got in. Yet neither of us can recall which Liberal leader it was or who seemed popular at the time.

From what a lot of polls indicate, we could get what is called a hung parliament and the media bosses don't like that. (are they in charge?)  Yet a lot of healthy democracies manage very well with a coalition.  It is the nature of the beast surely that a cross section of beliefs should offer a variety of thoughts and that the best idea should be used rather than the biggest bully wins.

Personally I would like to see a fair representation of all where the politicians have to agree rather than an overwhelming majority of one lot where we end up with a lot of rules and laws, most of us disike.

There are good points and bad points on all sides.

As a Victorian Nanny would say.....To all the parties...You lot want your heads bashing together.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2010, 22:06:44 »
@Jonny - I find it a bit frustrating when people say they're all the same... If you think that, you haven't put much effort into finding out about their different ideologies and different "solutions". I understand the complacency but it is nothing more than laziness. It may be a case of the best from a bad bunch (personally I don't think that's true but I respect the fact that some people think that way), but even then this election will have a huge impact on the way we live for a long time.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2010, 22:51:12 »
jonni221 and betula

Stop making excuses.

Look at it as it is and get down the the pollinmg station and register a vote..

You are both the people who complain most about what happens yet sit on your btms and do nothing.

Waste of space.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2010, 07:09:33 »
I posted my vote yeaterday   :-X

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2010, 07:19:45 »
We have already sent off our postal votes, it gives me the right to moan for the next five years, ;D

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2010, 07:55:34 »
Did the yahoo quiz thingy and ended up with near identical scores for all three parties. Well that clears up the confusion then  ;D

We have national and local elections next week, don't know if everyone does or if that's just us. Can't remember from previous years. Anyhoo, we haven't seen anyone round here at all apart from one of the local green councillors. No-one bothers week to week, month to month apart from the greens. I know they only manage low level stuff, like getting a few potholes filled in or whatever, but at least they live round here and care enough to go see people. Oh apart from the woman who I'm convinced must have been out canvassing for the 'parcel force knock and run' party last week. By the time we got off the sofa, she was half way back down the path! Very dedicated.

Nationally I haven't got a clue, although I will admit to not having done my research very well. Am fairly aware that the media take their own stance on these things so trying not to just look at the papers. You'll always get a skewed perspective.

I'll always turn out an vote, not just because I'm aware how much others went through to force votes for women, but also because there are a few parties who I do NOT want in around our area. Not going to start arguing parties as that's not the point of this, but there are a lot I'd rather see in than some. As has been said a few times, if you don't register an opinion then you can't complain about what you get.

Happy voting all  :-*

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2010, 10:47:51 »
A couple of years before I could actually vote I ended up having a discussion with my grandmother, then aged 87, regarding voting.   At the time I didn't see any point in voting and saw it more of a nuisance than anything.   

Oh,boy!   Oh, boy, oh boy, oh boy did I say the wrong thing!!!!!   Up until this point of my life I had always known my grandmother as a quiet, unassuming, delicately-built lady (four foot eleven tall, size eight clothes) who doled out copious amounts of sweets etc.   Until she did a Mount Vesuvius on me.!!!!

I'll forget her stood toe to toe with me, barely reaching my nose, forcefully waving a finger at me, whilst delivering a fifteen minute lecture on why I should vote and be grateful for the opportunity to vote and how she had had to fight for the right to vote and how not voting was to throw all her and all the other suggragettes hard work back at them!!!

I hadn't even known grandma had been involved in the suffragetter movement, even to the point of chaining herself to railings and getting arrested etc. etc.   

Ever since I have always made sure I've voted, regardless of whether it's local, national or european elections.   I only regret that grandma died before I was able to vote for the first time because, by gads, her lecture made quite an impact on me.   I'm now pushing forty and find myself in an almost similiar situation with my niece so the next couple of years could prove interesting.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2010, 21:45:54 »
jonni221 and betula

Look at it as it is and get down the the pollinmg station and register a vote..

You are both the people who complain most about what happens yet sit on your btms and do nothing.

Waste of space.

Have we met? No don't think so but thanks for the analysis.

Yes we could find out what the parties represent throught their manifestos etc, but promises are easily made and broken. Labour now say they'll keep childcare vouchers which is a u-turn but I bet the scheme will still be scrapped at some point once the election has passed.

In fact just downloaded and browsed the Labour and Tory manifesto's and guess what... pretty much the same main points, create a green economy, increase lending to small businesses, new banking regulations, new high speed rail lines and  more equpiment for the army (but still keeping out nuclear detterent).

So the two main parties have the same objectives, to win the election and keep their nice jobs. This is what makes me cynical of the whole process.

Jon
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 21:52:28 by jonny211 »

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2010, 22:12:10 »
@ Jonny. I have blisters on my feet and am 2 weeks behind on my coursework because I want to see an end to Labservative... You do have a choice!

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2010, 22:26:45 »
Hasn't Screaming Lord Such passed on though?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2010, 22:45:08 »
jonni221 and betula

Stop making excuses.

Look at it as it is and get down the the polling station and register a vote..

Waste of space.

I don't vote for politics I don't believe in.

And no I am not wasting my time by going to spoil a ballot paper.

I do not have to explain myself to the likes of you but for the record I have spent many years working on behalf of the Labour party......the real Labour party that is not the pretend one.

Some people vote without the slightest idea of what they are voting for and I am not one of them.

So I would consider you a waste of space too. :P :P :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal