Author Topic: Voting at an election  (Read 7752 times)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Voting at an election
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 21:22:48 »
I did that quizz and am still awaiting the results.........Must be a busy time on the web.

My question to start with was based on my thoughts that many of the people in the UK are not aware that others, possibly their own ancesters gave their life and linberty to make sure that we all have a right to be part of the political decision making.

I am delighted to note that so many came back to say that they were. I realise that it is confusing and some think that it is too complicated.

All I ask is, if the politics are not suitable. Spoil the ballot paper.

DO make the effort to mark your ballot paper.

If you do not turn up and claim your right to vote it registers as 'I do not care, anything will do.'

If you do not like the politics available, your only alternative is to show it by turning up and spoiling that ballot paper.

If enough people did that, the media would pick up on it and it would change politics.

I just cannot believe that there are people without the intellect to realise this. We do not have the people on the ballot paper to choose from. We also have the option of 'none of these.'

Turn up please and put an X on the sheet given to you. Fold it amd place it in the box provided.

Personally I am torn. Do I give the Conservatives my vote
The Labour Party  that nice chap from the Lib/Dams
Or do I stay at home?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 21:44:14 »
68% Liberal
64% Labour
44% Conservative

Interesting.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 22:09:14 »
PurpleHeather, you make an excellent point, but it's not just out of a debt of gratitude to our ancesters, we maintain a free and democratic society by holding the powers-that-be to account with our vote.  What you say is right, we do change politics with our vote, and if we stop being bothered we'll lose that freedom.

But I wish more people would take an active interest in politics, particularly local politics.  A lot of the decisions that affect our daily lives, for example, schools, roads, parking, allotments; they're governed locally, but our local politicians are not held to account by Paxman and Humphries and you'd be shocked at the tricks they get up to without that public scrutiny.

How many people have been to a council meeting to see what local democracy looks like in action?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 01:42:08 »
I am sure who I will vote for, it's the current MP who is a good bloke and works hard, so that is why I am avoiding all the debates and contant bickering and pointless chatter about it
I was fed up 2 minutes after it was announced
marg

Snap - but a different bloke!! Also hardly listening to the radio at the moment, its a reporters wet dream!
Also think Pigeonseed is spot on - they are all different, it's wading through the tripe to find the differences that is a chore!

Back on topic - Always voted, always will, and especially since postal votes were started it's meant I could work and not miss a vote!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:12 »
We have all been very good lately in keeping politics out of A4A and even this thread has been very neutral. 

However, it would seem from the photo of David Cameron below that we are are taking adverts from political parties.  Surely that goes against everything that has been done to keep A4A non political.  Someone must have given permission for that advert.   >:(

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2010, 12:10:29 »
We have all been very good lately in keeping politics out of A4A and even this thread has been very neutral.  

However, it would seem from the photo of David Cameron below that we are are taking adverts from political parties.  Surely that goes against everything that has been done to keep A4A non political.  Someone must have given permission for that advert.   >:(

use firefox internet browser, with 'add-blocker plus' = no adverts!! yay!
You couldn't make it up!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2010, 12:27:15 »
... Surely that goes against everything that has been done to keep A4A non political.  Someone must have given permission for that advert.   >:(

Although I totally agree with you most advertising on web sites is content aware.  That's why you get shed ads on threads about sheds, cannabis seeds ads on herb seeds threads and political ads on politcal threads (just seen one for the lib dems on this thread)...
In general you can opt out of certain categories but you dont get to approve individual ads before they appear
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 18:46:17 »
Oh!  He's been replaced by a shed now.   ;D ;D ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 18:48:51 »
You might have a shed Pauline, I have Sarah sodding Palin in all her ignorant, repulsive, bigoted glory.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 19:01:59 »
Why do you get a different picture to me then Ollie?  The shed was still there when I hit the reply to write this thread!

If I mention the words Tory, Conservative or political party, will that bring him back again or has he been sent packing for good?    ;D ;D ;D

Nope, I am still getting sheds!  LOL   ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2010, 19:17:29 »
Not being a member of any political party but having always voted, I find the complacent comments about not being bothered to vote pitiful, look what the suffragettes went through just to get the vote for women back in the 1900's, but my point is the SNP and Alex Salmond always bloody crowing about the part of the UK called England and ripping off Scotland always these digs about if Scotland went it alone how better off they would be, totally agree Alex I will be heading your way when it happens, :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2010, 20:57:02 »
I deliberately started this to be non political. It was to expose the fact that a lot of us are becoming so complacent with our political freedom. Some of us make silly remarks like

It is not my type of politics so I won't bother to vote.

Thankfully most responses have partially restored my faith in good sense and agreed that they too always make use of their democratic right.

Has any one noticed that when we read these manifestos that there are things missing?

The example I am keen on is the identity card. Personally I can not see any need for one if you have a passport (which you need to have to apply anyway). Fine for foreigners who want to live here to have one (it could clearly show their status of visitor, student or restricted worker) Europeans with the right to live and work here should not need one, should we?

Last election there was no mention that the pubs and clubs would not be allowed to let smokers have a place to enjoy a drink and a smoke. Now we have loads of them closing because smokers wont go to them and the non smokers who were going to use them if smoking was banned never ventured forth.  Make nicotine illegal by all means if it is as bad as we are told, it should be.  Simple enough surely. Why allow it to be sold at all?  No need for anything else just ban the manufacture and sale.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2010, 22:23:52 »
So do you vote for politics that don't suit you then PH ?

I presume your remark was aimed at me.

Just give your opinion on using your vote or not but cut the snide remarks please  :P

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2010, 22:31:30 »
Have always voted and the spoiling the ballot - register your opposition has always been what I have implored the apathetic to do.  My rather surprising results (not!) although I am worried I may be too Tory! ;D)
How you compare

* 1 Liberal Democrats 76% similarity
    * 2 Labour Party 71% similarity
    * 3 Conservative Party 45% similarity
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2010, 23:27:05 »
Well there's a surprise; you're more Tory than me Redclanger.   ;D ;D ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2010, 00:03:01 »
I know - the shame.... :-[
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2010, 00:41:25 »
I love the whole idea of voting and love when the candidates knock on the door especialy when it's the BNP yes last time they knocked on my door asking if they could count on my vote. Said it would help support White, English women like me. I of course smiled sweetly and told him to get knotted that I was not English and to take a eunning jump. :)

I have been a parish councilor (first woman elected into the council) and meet people like andrew landsley and others and in my youth was an active member of the student union and listened to Paul foot and other deep thinkers I love being able to impact my suroundings. More and more however I realise that the people we elect actualy don't impact our lifes as much as we think and that it's high level civil servants who weild the power pretty much like an episode of yes minister. Still not going to stop me voting as I want to ensure that at least we have the most compitant shower of idiots  are at the head of the boat.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2010, 06:34:23 »

I have always voted Labour in the past but I do not have much confidence in our Labour MP. 

On the other hand, the Lib Dem candidate is someone I have had a lot of contact with over the past few years as she is one of our local councillors.

She will make an excellent MP if she gets in but she needs to overturn the majority of around 7,000 that the current Labour MP got last time.

So I'm voting for the person rather than the party this time. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2010, 19:59:10 »
Would you vote for the 'Independent motorist party'  I would, I have not heard one bl--d- politician speak up for the vast majority of the population the motorist, :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2010, 21:21:23 »
Oh!  He's been replaced by a shed now.     
;D ;D ;D
Wonderful quote Paulines7!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal