Author Topic: radio 4 peak oil  (Read 1253 times)

fi

• Half Acre
radio 4 peak oil
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:45 »
on radio 4 this morning peak oil was briefly discussed. American military are predicting 2 years time the problems are going to start. I am aware of the peak oil predictions and the transition movements across the country, this is the first time I've heard peak oil making a news article which is worrying as i believe it will happen but didn't think so soon, also American military very worrying cos where will they invade next to get their oil.
where i live every one has their heads stuck in the sand. it is a rural area but there is no local food produce, cars are used in the village when no where here is more than a 30 minute walk. if you mention peak oil or transition towns people look at you as though you are mentally ill.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: radio 4 peak oil
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 18:24:54 »
We have go back in time and start using horses, donkeys and mules as a transport,,, ;D Oh..where are we going to put the horses when there is so much agro about chickens... :o

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 18:44:47 »
peak oil  ???
transition towns  ???
listen to america  ???

Sorry, I think I am lost here.  Obviously my head has been in the sand even tho I have been wandering around...

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 19:04:27 »
You're not the only one, mat. I know about transition towns (I listen to the Archers!) but have never heard the phrase"peak oil" before.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 19:19:02 »
have never heard the phrase"peak oil" before.

It was being used when I went to school, I remember learning about it whilst doing Standard grades 20 years ago. Before we had such good scientific data on climate change, it was the most convincing reason for using less oil and it should still help the "cynics"... (I use the quotes because there really are very few real cynics that have understood the science so the term isn't entirely accurate!).

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 19:28:13 »
I misread this and thought it said 'teak' oil.....
 ???
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 19:38:28 »
Remember just before the economy collapsed when oil prices were sky-rocketing because of the demand from India and China?  That was peak oil.  The problem was defused, but I guess we'll be hearing more about it.

An investment of say £20G would have a good chance delivering nuclear fission power stations.  Cancel spending on the military and we'd be world leaders.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 19:39:19 »
Peak oil is the point at which petroleum extraction reaches its 'peak', therefore amounts that are able to be extracted will reduce after the peak has been reached. Which I hope makes sense.

Also extraction problems will come to a head after all the easy to reach petroleum has already been extracted, hence all the biofuel initiatives, which cause problems of their own.

On the plus side, as the ice sheets are melting due to the usage of petroleum and other anthroprogenic causes, it will  free up huge areas of geological resources that haven't been previously accessible.

Who says global warming was a bad thing ::)
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 17:54:46 »

Who says global warming was a bad thing ::)

Although London flooding could be a bit inconvenient.........
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:07:24 »
..and then the oil runs out...
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal