Author Topic: Gigantes Beans Help  (Read 772 times)

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
Gigantes Beans Help
« on: April 15, 2010, 08:10:43 »
HELP My wife has cooked the last of my Giant Butter Beans so now I don't have any to plant for this season's crop. Can anyone spare a couple of dozen Gigantes Beans. Obviously I will pay for any postage and packing.
Thanks in anticipation....Dinger

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Gigantes Beans Help
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 08:25:48 »
Hope you enjoyed them dingerbell ;).

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:41:44 »
A couple of dozen is a lot...I can spare about 10 if you are interested. They are sourced from Greece (second generation), so if there have been any breeding improvements by seed companies, these won't show them.

They are very robust and contain about 4 fat seeds to the pod when grown. I have had 99% germination from them this year, and my seedlings are a foot tall and jumping out of their loo rolls.

Do you have anything to exchange? Eg interesting climbing beans (not runners)? Then we needn't worry about p&p.

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:12:07 »
A couple of dozen is a lot...I can spare about 10 if you are interested. They are sourced from Greece (second generation), so if there have been any breeding improvements by seed companies, these won't show them.

They are very robust and contain about 4 fat seeds to the pod when grown. I have had 99% germination from them this year, and my seedlings are a foot tall and jumping out of their loo rolls.

Do you have anything to exchange? Eg interesting climbing beans (not runners)? Then we needn't worry about p&p.

Thanks so much for the offer, 10 would be fantastic. My seeds were 3rd generation but unfortunately I didn't safely store them so they ended up in a bean stew.  I have some Trail of Tears which is a superb "double crop" climber which has tender green young pods and fantastically flavoursome dried beans for storing. Contact me for my home address.
Thanks again......Chris

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:21:00 »
Trail of Tears very acceptable, as mine have not germinated well this time. Gigandes on the way......

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal