Author Topic: AVG 9 E MAIL SCANNER  (Read 1829 times)

pntalbot

• Half Acre
AVG 9 E MAIL SCANNER
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:15:34 »
Recently  Installed AVG 9 Free all seems  Ok  except  Avg Email Scanner  doesn`t  work with all boxes ticked and at Summary page says Email Scanning Active. I am  using  Win 7/Sky Broadband with Email using POP3 ( not Sky Web email ) to Windows Live Mail, all Emails  received incoming & outgoing perfect,  but  can  you please advise me - ARE MY EMAILS PROTECTED BY SKY EMAIL SERVER ? ? or do I have to try & get this AVG Email Scanner working. At Avg Overview page/ Email Scanner Active total Emails scanned shows Zero ? ? Want  to Upgrade to AVG Internet 9 at a later date.but not until this is sorted out. Did have Norton 360 until it expired recently and when Norton was originally Installed,  presumed Emails were scanned & protected by Norton without AVG hastle.
PS: Did  Reinstall  AVG 9 Free ---still the same.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: AVG 9 E MAIL SCANNER
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:30:14 »
Just checked and it is working for us.
Gardening is the great leveller.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:30:41 »
Sky are unlikely to prescan your mail so it is advisable to get something working...

Have you tired this..from the AVG site..

Assuming you are using the AVG English language version....

1. Download & save the latest AVG Free installation package from http://free.avg.com/gb-en/download-file-ins-afg-free
2. Run the AVG Free install file
3. Choose the Add/Remove components option and follow the setup wizard until you reach the email area
4. Select Advanced, then add the email plugin you want and remove the others (only have one installed at a time) and finish the wizard.
5. Restart your computer then test...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 23:03:16 »
Thanks  Chaps  for  advice , but at Total  Emails  Scanned, still  zero when  emails  Received,  this is after  Uninstalling  AVG 9 Free  & then  reinstalling  AVG 9 Free. At  `Overview  Page  it  shows  Email  Scanner  is  `Active`. At  `Install` right  components  selected. Any  more  ideas  please.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:59 »
Do you by any chance have Outlook (part of Microsoft Office) installed?

Run install
Navigate (using Next) further on, until you reach the Component selection screen, here you can expand the E-mail scanner feature and make sure the Personal E-mail Scanner is selected (instead of Microsoft Outlook extension), keep rest of the components checked!

Proceed further with Next and Finish to complete the installation. If a computer reboot is required, please restart it and you should be set.
Just a possibility..

However I wouldn't worry too much.  As long as AVG is installed it will still be checking checking emails when you open them (as opposed to when they arrive with a mail scanner) and all attachements will still be checked on opening..  See here  http://tinyurl.com/yb5neoy for more info..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 15:54:44 »
HI  BARRIEDALENICK  ---No  I  don`t  have  Outllook  installed & I  have  already  selected `personal email  scanner`, but  after  reading  your  last  paragraph and  reading
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm-- I  now  don`t  want  AVG Email  Scanner  to  work---Sounds  as  though, there could  be  problems  with it. Thanks  with  your  help  from --- PNTALBOT

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal