Author Topic: Communication & allotments  (Read 4818 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Communication & allotments
« on: April 13, 2010, 23:02:25 »
Sorry but I couldn't think of what else to title this thread!

I was wondering how allotment committees communicate with their members other than at the AGM? Do you for instance publish the minutes of your meetings, or a synopsis of them? And if so how - on-line? I'm aware that no everyone is on-line, so how do you manage? And do any sites use social networking sites and what do they do? or is that just a step to far!

Thanks

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Re: Communication & allotments
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 23:09:29 »
Our site produces a small A4 folded newsletter periodically. There is a network of people that deliver to those that are not on line.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 23:13:56 »
Thanks Ninnyscrops - how periodically, something like every quarter? Our's seem to be somewhat random!
Hadn't thought about people doing personal delivery  ::)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 23:27:24 »
Ours used to be quarterly but a little random now too but we are a small site and everyone talk to everyone else so we all keep up with developments that way.  Just work out who's where and who's in the middle of those (and willing to deliver) it worked for us.

:(

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 23:55:27 »
Meeting minutes and quaterly newletter by email for those that are online and hard copies left in the communal shed for those that arent. Notices posted on the communal shed for immediate/urgent stuff.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:49:19 »
The minutes of our monthly committee meetings and the AGM are on the notice board in our meeting-room.

I write a newsletter 2 or 3 times a year.  This is given by hand to about 60 people and posted to the other 50.  It is also displayed on the notice-board in the meeting-room.

I send emails to the 57 people on our email group.  These are also printed and put on the notice-board for the people not on the internet.

I make laminated posters and these go on the outdoor notice-boards and also in the meeting-room.

We have a group on Facebook but only 23 people belong to it.

I also put news on our website.

And still people ask me "When is the Plant Sale/AGM/Summer Fayre/etc etc..... ::)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:26:37 »
When I was site rep. I produced a quarterly newsletter plus various ad hoc notices.

About 80% of plot holders were online and received everything from me via email.

For people who were not online, a single printed copy of any item was put up on the notice board at the site. In addition, I used to leave printed copies of the newsletters with the Parish Council so that people could pick them up from there, and finally I would distribute copies when I bumped into plot holders who were not online.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:41:06 »
We have a newsletter which goes out four times a year during the gardening months, from Easter to late autumn, plus a fifth which is posted around Christmas with the bills for next year and notice of the AGM. Apart from the Christmas one, these are e-mailed where possible, otherwise hand-delivered by volunteers.

The committee minutes are posted on the notice boards, once they are ratified by the subsequent meeting.

Urgent notices also go on the board, or I'll e-mail people, either personally or as a round robin (blind copy, not open copy, so there's no passing round of e-mail addresses).

In addition, my e-mail and mobile number are on the notice boards. And we do spend a long time going round talking to people.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 08:13:35 »
As Trevor_D pointed out, I should have mentioned that I used blind copy on emails so that email addresses were not visible. Similarly, my mobile number and email address always appeared on all items.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 08:24:48 »
Thanks for the replies - I think communication is an area that could always do with improvement!
I also like the idea of getting the meeting minutes (or a synopsis) sent round - that way people feel (or have the choice) a bit more involved and aware, instead of just getting the AGM minutes from 1 year to the next.

I always think newsletters are a bit of a proverbial pain! What on earth do you write about!! I've done similar things in the past and always struggle, so I'm impressed that you all seem to manage it  :)

And still people ask me "When is the Plant Sale/AGM/Summer Fayre/etc etc..... ::)

well, at least they ask  ::)  :P  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 08:41:54 »
As Trevor_D pointed out, I should have mentioned that I used blind copy on emails so that email addresses were not visible. Similarly, my mobile number and email address always appeared on all items.

Same here, I also forgot to mention it.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 08:45:02 »
that's a really important thing to do - you'd be amazed the number of people I've had a pop at for not doing that!!  :-X

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 09:12:38 »
I always think newsletters are a bit of a proverbial pain! What on earth do you write about!! I've done similar things in the past and always struggle, so I'm impressed that you all seem to manage it  :)

I sometimes struggle a bit with what to write but once I get started it's not too bad.

There is a copy of our latest newsletter at the foot of the home page here www.growit.ik.com

Later on in the year I will give the results of all our competitions.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 11:07:56 »
thanks for the link Squash. I like it, nice and straightforward but informative  :)

However I guess I'm also trying to think beyond the standard newsletter format.....  :-\

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:14:44 »
Our newsletter - just out - has a brief report of the AGM, listing the new committee; a paragraph introducing new members; a report on the first working party (continuing work started last year on a major overhaul of the drainage trenches); advance news of our 100th anniversary and our possible involvement with the local Primary school's summer fair (with an appeal for volunteers!); information about the swap table and machinery; plus a few one-line items and advance news of the next newsletter.

This started off a few years back as one side of A4. Now it's double-sided and the lady who compiles it keeps reducing the point size to fit it all in! And every issue seems to finish with something like, "I was going to include ........ but didn't have room."

But then there are several of us writing bits for it. Perhaps we need more than five a year?

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 14:00:54 »
it sounds like you all have lots going on on your sites for all these newsletters! And as you say Trevor, maybe the way to do it successfully is to get several people to contribute.......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal