Author Topic: The State of New Plots  (Read 5362 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
The State of New Plots
« on: April 13, 2010, 13:24:24 »
This may have been asked before, but can I ask you all again whether you - the allotment association or local council let plots out to new tenants rotovated and prepared or still overgrown for the new plot holder to do.
This has come up in general discussion [I'm not on the commitee!] but would like to know what happens on other sites.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: The State of New Plots
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 13:25:48 »
local council leaves them overgrown

markp2511

• Quarter Acre
  • Do one brave thing today.....then run!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 13:33:13 »
On our site you get everything thrown in: bramble, grass, old shed, piles of rubbish, glass and the resident angry badger.   ;D

But we don't have any weed police and you can do pretty much what you want.  It has seemed to put people off [the state of the vacant plots] in the past, but there's been a good uptake lately.  Two familes have just taken on 4 adjoining plots and in a couple of weeks with a mini digger and rotovator have cleared them completely - 40m x 25m of ground now looks ready to go.  Hopefully the more gets done, the more appealing the surrounding untaken plots will look.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 13:52:31 »
WYSIWYG - as computer people say - on our site ... what you see is what you get.

I would not want a plot full of bindweed, ground elder and couch to be rotovated, thus potentially multiplying the problems.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 13:59:18 »
Our allotment association lets the plots in the condition the previous tenants leave them. 

In the past, the council used to rotovate them but they don't any more.

What happens on your site?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 14:08:13 »
Same here, you get what the previous tenant leaves, whenther that be bindweed and brambles or a shed and a waterbutt.  If they're rotovated my plot I'd be in the nuthouse after chasing all those bits of couch grass.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

:(

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 14:15:51 »
Committee members take anything they fancy thats been left then the plots let as it is.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 16:18:29 »
our plots don't get time to grow weeds, the waiting list is that long, someone is usually there the day after  :)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 16:44:23 »
On our site the plots are offered 'as seen' so you are in luck if you are offered a good one ;D
We do have a weekly visit from a group from the probation service on community service and someone has suggested that they help to clear and start to dig the really overgrown plots so that new plot holders aren't so daunted and can get a few crops in at the beginning. They have helped clearing some plots, but not every overgrown one has been cleared.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 17:41:31 »
We're a private site, so we can't afford to rotovate; but we wouldn't anyway because of the weed problem.

I do try to offer newcomers a choice of plots, so they don't feel they are being lumbered, but basically - as the others have said - you take on a waste land and just get on with it. I had a forest of bramble, a convulvulus mine and half a Morrison shelter on mine!

But now, we're getting to the same position as manics. All plots are taken, and the last few I've let out have needed fairly minimal work to get back into shape. (It's generally people who have more or less got the plot in order, then not been able to get down and finally given up, or moved out of the area.)

But I think the real breakthrough has been splitting plots. I haven't been letting anything bigger than 5 poles for a couple of years now, so they all have a manageable area of land. (And anyone who puts in the work and ends up bursting at the seams is given priority over the waiting list if they want an extra plot.)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 18:01:29 »
We have a long waiting list, but there are still plots that are not really worked and one plot has changed hands every year for the last few years - and it is not a bad plot! The person stuck next to that plot has suggested that every new plot holder has a 6 month probationary period in which they show that they actually mean to do some grdening - not sure how that suggestion would go down though ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 18:08:12 »
we have a 6 month probationary period, it's written into the rules..any full plots that become available are split into 2, we ask the previous tenant to clear anything they want within 2 weeks, if they don't their stuff is left in the big shed for a couple of months then it becomes communal(tools, etc)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 19:29:23 »
Committee members take anything they fancy thats been left then the plots let as it is.
;)
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 21:49:33 »
Ours lets the plots just as the previous left them. 

Until two years ago the council would rotovate, but they aint interested any more, what with cutbacks and people queuing for a plot.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 08:14:53 »
On our site you get everything thrown in: bramble, grass, old shed, piles of rubbish, glass and the resident angry badger.   ;D

on our site ... what you see is what you get.

Same here.  The new tenant takes on the plot as it stands.  They do get a 3 month probation period to turn it around and show willing etc.  The plot is not expected to be immaculate after the probation but needs to have progressed into a more cleared and cultivated state
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 11:36:15 »
The other day I was talking to an allotment holder wo cursed the fact that her plot was rotavated some years ago. She's never got rid of the weeds.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 11:51:40 »
our plots don't get time to grow weeds, the waiting list is that long, someone is usually there the day after :)
Do you know Manics we've got over 60 on our list and just been speaking to the main man who has written to 4 people about a vacant plot and got NO reply.That's weeks wasted.We've suggested the committee (we're self managed )send out a letter to everyone on the waiting list by way of an update asking if they wish to remain on said list.I'm sure it would cut the number dramatically.
Do any other site have this kind of policy ?
sanity is overated

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 12:24:34 »
when a plot becomes available, we do a 3 calls and you're out policy, they get a phone call, then a letter..if anyone is near, they will call..most of the plot holders and potential ones are fairly local, most are known to someone around..we now have 4 of the current plot holders on the list as well  ::) :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 12:30:08 »
Generally we have a take it as you find it approach but recently we have noticed that most people on our list are complete newbies.  Nothing wrong with that but we offered the same plot out to two people and they didnt want it - too much work.  What they really want is a very small clean area to try their hand.
Therefore on site day in a couple of weeks we are going to clear out the shed which is full of crap and have a tidy up - nothing too severe.
It does seem that some people expectations are a little higher than the reality they find on site..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 12:41:30 »
Re. keeping in touch with the waiting list: If they have e-mail - most do these days - I send them a copy of the newsletter when it comes out, plus a short note saying we haven't forgotten you, and are you still keen. It seems to work; at least if people are going to change their minds, they might think to let me know.

But if I try to contact them to offer a plot and they don't reply (like manics, 3 goes, normally by 2 different methods: phone, mobile, e-mail, post) that's it.

Re. newbies taking plots: We've had this problem, so have an area of Starter Plots - a couple of raised beds plus a small cold-frame. It's still early days on this one, but I think it's working; one lady is going great guns and I think she might be looking for a proper plot soon. (Which is, of course, the object of the exercise!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal